Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Case Failure - 9 Major

kneelingatlas

Don't shoot 9major,but I had one like this in my 223 shooting factory Black hill reloades, in their blue box..Gave them a call and was told yea that happens sometime..duh...

I had this EXACT failure two weeks ago with an extremely modest 167 PF 9 maj Silhouette load with an IMT headstamp. IMT and Ammoland headstamps all have that ring. I now have to sort my 9mm brass, sad day :angry2:

It is interesting that is seems like a clean cut. I had a 1911 fire out of battery and it was a ruff tear.

Every picture I have seen online of case failures with this brass is a clean cut right where the internal ledge resides.

What is IMT short for?

I believe it is a canadian company: http://imtcorporation.com/home

I'm going from memory now, I saw a thread on another forum a while ago, but the speculation was that IMT had purchased machinery from Howell Machine (the company that owns Freedom Munitions, and literally makes the machines that make the ammo and components).

IMT, Freedom Munition (FM) and Ammoland are all the same junk crap. That stuff should be banned from any competition range. It's amazing that these "start-up" ammo companies think they know how to make a better case than WW, RP, Federal, etc. After all, they have only been in business for over a hundred years.

I doubt they think they are making a better case. Just cheaper/easier. That (along with using plated bullets instead of jacketed) is how Freedom Munitions is able to offer their ammo at the prices they do. I've shot a ton of their ammo and had very very few problems. But I did have one round that separated like OP, and after searching around, it turns out this is probably a design defect. Surely they know about it, and have just accepted whatever relatively small failure rate they have. I emailed them about my failure, and their response was basically "send it back or shoot it, whatever"

Edited by rev1911

I must have picked up a bunch of these cases at some point because this has happened to me at least 5 times. Never during a match though. I knew it was the ridge in the case causing it but haven't sorted all of them out yet.

Another problem child brass brand is the tulammo 9mm. If I drop any of these in my barrel they always get stuck. They bulge more than every other brand but only seem to be a problem with jacketed bullets. probably because the plated and coated get crushed inside the case and the jacketed doesnt crush as easily, resulting in the bulge.

If anyone sees a tulammo 9 case loaded with a jacketed bullet, Chamber check it, or look at the cases that wont chamber and if you have any tulammo I bet there the ones not chambering. Tulammo 9MM = JUNK

It is interesting that is seems like a clean cut. I had a 1911 fire out of battery and it was a ruff tear.

Every picture I have seen online of case failures with this brass is a clean cut right where the internal ledge resides.

Yep, mine was a clean cut following the exact dimensions of the internal ridge. Half sheered off and was stuck in the chamber and the other half ejected. I couldn't figure out why another round would not chamber until I broke the gun down and saw the shiny ring of brass welded into the chamber. I had to soak the chamber portion of the barrel in liquid wrench to get the little bastard out.

I'm kinda new to this, but at 8.4 grains of HS-6, you're well above the (Hodgson) recommended 7.0 grains?

They are talking 9 Major here, a different ball game than standard 9mm or 9 Minor.