Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Case Failure - 9 Major

kneelingatlas

I've need loading 9 major for ~2 1/2 years using whatever brass I pick up, pretty much daring a case to fail and I had my first today:

_20150529_174902_zps9rnd2wi4.jpg

_20150529_174841_zpskauobnl6.jpg

_20150529_174811_zpsgliimbtz.jpg

Strange one, it broke right in half and a ring of brass stayed in the chamber. Pretty uneventful really. Thought I'd share.

I've had the same thing. Ammoland, FM, and IMT brass have that "step" in the case that is prone to split at that point when loading major. Annoying because it creates another check in the process before loading.

This happened to me at Area 6 this year. Into my fifth stage I think and at the end, couldn't chamber the next round. Later found out it was a Ammoload case and it split like this leaving the upper half of the case wall stuck in there. It was really stuck in there but gunsmith got it out. Since then, I've been going through mine to check for this brass manufacturer and the others mentioned. I wasn't the only one at A6 this happened to and it is said to happen even with Minor loads.

I've had the same thing. Ammoland, FM, and IMT brass have that "step" in the case that is prone to split at that point when loading major. Annoying because it creates another check in the process before loading.

I used to use these for minor loads until I came across a cracked case, but it wasn't split the normal way from top to bottom, it was partway around right at the "step". Since that day, all the stepped brass goes in the scrap bucket.

This happened to me at Area 6 this year. Into my fifth stage I think and at the end, couldn't chamber the next round. Later found out it was a Ammoload case and it split like this leaving the upper half of the case wall stuck in there. It was really stuck in there but gunsmith got it out. Since then, I've been going through mine to check for this brass manufacturer and the others mentioned. I wasn't the only one at A6 this happened to and it is said to happen even with Minor loads.

Yes, I saw a failure just like this with low power factor minor loads.

Couldn't read the headstamp, but like others, as soon as I saw where/how it split in the first pic, my first thought was - damned Ammoload cases.

They've caused issues on Minor and plinking loads, as well as a friend who had it happen with some 'remanufactured' ammo from a relatively well-known company.

They all crack/give way right at the step, which best I can tell was originally made for sub-gun type ammo to reduce setback, although most bullets we use don't slide into the case far enough to sit on the 'step,' so who knows?

Meanwhile, 'the step' also technically reduces case volume, making it potentially even less of a good idea for Major..

Has anyone seen other headstamps with 'the step'?

I have seen :Ammoload, FM, IMT. I had the same thing happen to me a few months back. I ended up throwing about a third of my collected brass out. I finally used up all my factory ammo, and only have my own loads, but I still check each case before polishing, just to make sure one doesn't sneak in from other shooters.

Couldn't read the headstamp, but like others, as soon as I saw where/how it split in the first pic, my first thought was - damned Ammoload cases.

They've caused issues on Minor and plinking loads, as well as a friend who had it happen with some 'remanufactured' ammo from a relatively well-known company.

They all crack/give way right at the step, which best I can tell was originally made for sub-gun type ammo to reduce setback, although most bullets we use don't slide into the case far enough to sit on the 'step,' so who knows?

Meanwhile, 'the step' also technically reduces case volume, making it potentially even less of a good idea for Major..

Has anyone seen other headstamps with 'the step'?

The ridge in these cases is a result of the way they are manufactured, which is apparently different than other brass makers. I think it was called extrusion press or something... can't remember exactly. It comes from machines made/owned by ammoload or one of its parent companies.

I went through my bucket and pulled all of them. It's pretty easy to spot the stepped case. I figure I'll collect them and send them back to Xtreme/freedom as a brass exchange.

All the more reason to never buy their loaded ammunition again.

Yeah, someone around here is shooting Freedom Munitions ammo at the local matches. I found about 10 cases mixed in my brass from one match alone.

I sort 9mm to get rid of all the .380 and 38 Super before it hits the case feeder. Ammoland, FM, and IMT cases get tossed along with crimped cases.

Sorry for the empty post. Would you believe it if I said my dog was licking the phone screen on the floor after I set it down from reading another post in the tap a talk app. I had to edit this post because I don't know how to delete it. If someone knows how, please delete this response.

Thanks.

Edited by wblacksh

IMT, Freedom Munition (FM) and Ammoland are all the same junk crap. That stuff should be banned from any competition range. It's amazing that these "start-up" ammo companies think they know how to make a better case than WW, RP, Federal, etc. After all, they have only been in business for over a hundred years.

I sort 9mm to get rid of all the .380 and 38 Super before it hits the case feeder. Ammoland, FM, and IMT cases get tossed along with crimped cases.

This!

I had the same blown case as the OP, almost identical, im going with plan B !