Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Longshot for cast 10 mm loads

bigarm

I would like to try some Longshot that I just got with my 200 grain powder coated cast bullets. Hodgden has only fmj load for 200 grain with a starting load of 7.0 grains and max load of 8.2 grains. Where should I start for cast bullets?

What are you trying to accomplish? Plinking loads, minor power factor, major power factor, nuclear loads? And do you have any other powders available? Longshot is great for max power, but not the hot tip for moderate lead bullet loads.

I made a few rounds at 6.8 grains and test fired them. They seemed okay so I loaded 11 or so rounds at 6.8, 7.0 and 7.2 grains. If the rain lets up tomorrow I will get out the chronograph and see what we have and go from there.

I chroned the rounds at 6.8, 7.0 and 7.2 grains of Longshot. 7.2 gave me average velocity of 1043, extreme spread of 61 and s.d. of 21. I then upped it to 7.5 and got 1066 average velocity, 43 extreme spread and 14 standard deviation. I didn't gain a lot of velocity by going up but did lower the extreme spread and standard deviation. All brass looked fine . I think I will stay there for awhile. It was a fairly pleasant load. That was a power factor of 213. I did not accuracy test, but point of impact seemed closer to point of aim at the higher levels.

I load 8.1 - 8.2 under a 205 RCBS lead bullet I cast myself. This accounts for just under 1200 in a 6" Lone Wolf barrel (3rd Gen G20, 22 lb recoil spring). It works safely in this combination but I'd work up cautiously in a stock G barrel or 1911. Best if used in new brass or brass fired only in a tight chamber.

YMMV, of course

Mark