Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty

Gary Stevens

They do have full recoil systems. That's a tough call... They both have holes (two large holes in the longer one and three small holes in the super shorty), and they chrono almost exactly the same (the super shorty is an AET barrel and the longer is STI).

I have so many different Open guns I'm not sure what I prefer anymore.

If you want a shorty, you might as well go all the way, I would cut an inch off the slide with minimal cuts, use a 4.4" 9mm bushing barrel with a cone adapter and a good TI comp and no holes.

4.5 (1/2" off) works well for most and is pretty much the norm now (in my experience). A lot were built at commander length (3/4" off). An inch off would be going outside the bell curve :excl: .

YMMV

I have had three Dawson shorties. Two of them were 3/4" off (one 9 major with no popple holes and one 38 Supercomp with two popple holes) and one is 1/4" off with 2 popple holes (9 Major). All have full length guide rod systems and are of the Dawson stroked variety. The true commander (4.25" guns) need to be pushed harder to make major and are a little more violent, but not really to the point of being punishing. They do handle and point nicely. The 4.75" gun is a lot more stable and not as violent, but is heavier and does not handle or point quite as quickly as the shorter guns. It is all in your personal preference as to which one works best for your shooting style.

I actually do prefer the shorter guns by a small margin, but I have and shoot both. Of course with the lengthy Dawson 4 chamber comp, the shorter guns end up being nearly as long as a full length gun with a shorter comp like the Brazos Thundercomp.

Were I to have a shorty gun built these days with a similar configuration, it would probably be 4.5" (1/2" off) . 4.5" is as short as my current gunsmith will build an open gun per our discussion. A 5 inch gun can be made as light as the shorty, so it is all in your preference. Opinions do vary. :D

I owned a shorty once, that was purpose built for steel. Breaking the gun in with 172pf loads wasn't fun. I couldn't imagine it having any advantage to a 5" gun. I now own a Brazos open 5" gun, and I won't look back.

I have a Brazos 5" open in 38sc, I had a chance to shoot his Pro sx which is a shorty. I ran my gun on the stage and then ran the Pro sx, I shot the pro sx faster and had better hits.

Needless to say I have a Pro sx on order. Also they both were 38 sc loaded with N105 and 125 bullets