Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Vest

Bob Hostetter

I want a patch on the back that says, "Effin' Gamer!"

But honestly, if you were to make one from scratch...

Heavy material, so it'll stay open when you clear it and not get tangled up in your gun/hand/ponytail.

Vents....EVERYWHERE! I'd do the entire back in mesh. It hits over 100 degrees down here and we need all the airflow we can get.

Don't go overboard with all the cargo style pockets. I've used my vest for over a year and I still have yet to put a single item in any of the pockets.

Make sure you give ample room in the armpit area. Don't want anything chafing or rubbing there.

Wide material on the shoulder area. This will help spread the load of the vest.

Mine has adjustable straps in the waist area, but again, they've never been used or adjusted.

Edited by jogan

I really like them over the 5.11 and Woolrich vests. But if I were to make a suggestion....

At times I'll leave a few rounds in my pocket. To help keep enough inertia when I sweep it. Something that would perform the same function without the loose rounds.

Heavy material, so it'll stay open when you clear it and not get tangled up in your gun/hand/ponytail.

Vents....EVERYWHERE! I'd do the entire back in mesh. It hits over 100 degrees down here and we need all the airflow we can get.

Don't go overboard with all the cargo style pockets. I've used my vest for over a year and I still have yet to put a single item in any of the pockets.

Make sure you give ample room in the armpit area. Don't want anything chafing or rubbing there.

Mine has adjustable straps in the waist area, but again, they've never been used or adjusted.

I had this one my armadillo vest right above the mesh bach at the Carolina Cup last year.

379p_4c_1b.jpg

I like the standard and taclite 5.11 vests best. But I do take a seam ripper to them and remove all the extra stuff.

-I do not want mesh or vents.

-I want a weak side pocket that stays open at the mouth and is deep enough a mag won't fall out while moving fast

-I'd possibly be interested in a mandarin style collar for sun protection. Or at least the option.

-I'd like it just a tad bit longer in ratio to its size. IE I wear a size small 5.11 vest but it could be 0.50" longer

-Washable fabric

-Fabric choices that don't look like they came from the fabric store down the street, Michaels, Joannes ect.

-Stiffness for the front lower panels based of an insert, like the 5.11, that is removable? Rather than starch or triple layers of fabric.

-A more subdued logo, or none at all on the exterior.

-Subdued colors.

I can PM you if you want to know more

• 6 months later...

I had this one my armadillo vest right above the mesh bach at the Carolina Cup last year.

379p_4c_1b.jpg

Nicely Played Sir... Nicely Played

Edited by Rangerdug

-I want a weak side pocket that stays open at the mouth and is deep enough a mag won't fall out while moving fast

With my current IDPA only gamer fishing vest (5.11), that I think is silly, I was never able to finagle a pocket just right for tactical reloads, ended up just putting the removed mag into my pants pocket. A pocket that allows a very fast drop with efficient motion getting to the next magazine, and keeps things secure enough to allow for whatever movement the rest of the stage requires might sell very well. It could even make tactical reloads sort of fun.

With my current IDPA only gamer fishing vest (5.11), that I think is silly, I was never able to finagle a pocket just right for tactical reloads, ended up just putting the removed mag into my pants pocket. A pocket that allows a very fast drop with efficient motion getting to the next magazine, and keeps things secure enough to allow for whatever movement the rest of the stage requires might sell very well. It could even make tactical reloads sort of fun.

I always have thought the big front pockets on the 5.11 vest were backwards.

Would it be against this rule to take a seam ripper, remove the pockets, switch sides, and sew them back on?...

"8.9.5 Specially made pockets for magazine stowage after a reload may not be used. "

They are the same pockets, just reversed to customize it to your preference.

What do you guys think?

Edited by LeviSS

Both of my 5.11 vest I took to the tailoring place near my house and said, "Please tear out this seam and sew this into one big pocket to match the pocket on the other side." Thank you, $15 and 2 hours later I was picking it up. Best vest mod ever! Wore these same vests at a dozen sanctioned matches, multiple nationals and it does make a rwr way more pleasant if you're a vest pocket user over a belt line stuffer.

I still want a vest I can wash and not worry about shrinking it crazy and I'd like it just a little bit longer in length to width ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

379p_4c_1b.jpg

Nicely Played Sir... Nicely Played

well Done

• 2 weeks later...

What features would you like to see included in a vest that was designed specifically for IDPA competition?

Just thought I'd mention something from the front page of the IDPA website:

"“Competition only” equipment is not permitted in this sport."

....wouldn't the above vest be precisely what should be disallowed in IDPA?

What features would you like to see included in a vest that was designed specifically for IDPA competition?

Ah the irony. Is not an IDPA Match a competition? Hence all equipment approved for IDPA competition...is IDPA competition equipment.

Never mind me , it was just a thought that popped in my mind. It's gone now.

Ah the irony. Is not an IDPA Match a competition? Hence all equipment approved for IDPA competition...is IDPA competition equipment.

Never mind me , it was just a thought that popped in my mind. It's gone now.

I have "competition only" cover garment, pants (it's the only way I can protect my knees), moonclip holders, speedloader holders, holsters, mag pouches, belts, and probably quite a few other things I'm forgetting. The guns I carry are not IDPA appropriate so pretty much all my guns are competition only. Maybe I should ask for a refund of my membership fees since the sport was misrepresented.

ld

Nope. You could wear it to the store to get a jug of milk and loaf of bread just fine so it wouldn't be for Competition only.