Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best lube & cleaners to start out with on new guns.....

DubfromGA

Howdy folks.

I've got a really basic question for you all.

As of late, I've been making up for lost time on gun purchases/trades over the last couple weeks.n I went almost three years without buying a single gun......I've made up for that now. I'm moving more from hunting stuff to guns that will see carry, home defense and lots of target use. I'm wanting to get started in some local competition and go from there.

Everything should be in at my lgs by next weekend. I've got few days off week after next to spend a few days at the range.

I want to start these out running well with the best lube and cleaners. There is a bunch of new stuff on the market since I last looked around several years ago. I'm not sure what's what anymore. It seems as if each of the local stores are promoting certain brands/types.

I know many of you are serious shooters and put lots of rounds through your guns. Your insight is highly valued.

I hope to listen to you and use Midway or the local spots to get the recommended lubes & cleaners on hand before next weekend. Maybe there is another online place you'd recommend, too.

The new guns that are here or on the way are:

Glock G34 Gen4 MOS

Glock G17 Gen4

Glock G19 Gen4

Kahr CM9

Colt Wiley Clapp Government

Colt LE 6920 Magpul

Remington 870 Magpul

Colt Defender (insanely low price....just put a deposit on it....gonna be month or so)

What are your recommendations to run in each.....is there a lube that works great across the board on them all ?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm just wanting to get the best performance and life from each of these guns. The verdict is out on the little Kahr.....the rest are guns I've really wanted for some time and finally pulled the trigger on buying.

Summer is here and I have a teenage son who will be making range trips with me and he loves shooting, too. We are going to have a blast....pun intended. :)

Thank you for your help.

Get yourself a can of Kroil oil for getting underneath lead, fouling, etc. Slip 725 is an outstanding water based cleaner. Follow up with any good lube. Slip 2000 or EWL, Mobile One, Clenzoil. Take your pick. I'm also a big fan of Super-Lube oils for guns and grease for shotguns.

For cleaning, I like MPro7. Works well and is supposed to be non-toxic, but it WILL suck out oils and lube so after cleaning, I lube and coat with the things listed below.

As a secondary bore cleaner if there is more fouling, I use Breakfree foaming bore/barrel cleaner.

For my reloading press/dies, I use Hornady One Shot spray cleaner and dry lube.

For gun lube, I use MPro7. Alternatively, I would use Mobil 1 (I just happened to get some free MPro7 lube with a large quantity of the cleaner).

I like to coat my frames and especially blued guns with RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease). A very thin coat does great for protecting.

BTW, that's alot of purchases in a short time - congrats! I personally love my Kahrs. I have a PM9, PM40, and P45 and they are all fantastic. My standard carry gun is my PM40. The USPSA bug will bit you eventually (like for me) and next thing you know, you're dropping thousands on race guns :)

For lube I use only Slide Glide blended with FP-10 because of the versatility. I can adjust the viscosity to anything I need.

For cleaners: I use non chlorinated brake cleane spray and bore cleaners like Shooter's Choice and Hoppes, nost any cleaner is good. I use only nylon bore brushes and don't over clean the bore.

As a materials engineer with advanced course work in tribology, I knew that the majority of "gun oils" were just repackaged base oils that someone decided to charge 5 times what they sell for as motor oils. Heck, some are scented vegetable oils.

I used a mix of synthetic motor oil and race grade synthetic transmission fluid for years. I am sure you can go find my old posts here on Enos. The gallons of oil I got off the prize tables and with guns were tossed in a box after a short test proved they were not as good as my home brew. When new superlubes came out I tried and tested them and again, the hype was marketing and money driven, not performance.

Last year I got a bottle of Lucas Extreme duty and with normal skepticism, tried it. After a normal test I took the gun apart and something was different. I ran more tests and after testing, taking a look on the SEM and doing down EDS to see if it was in fact sticking to the metal, I was more impressed.

After some research, I switched to using Lucas Extreme. The contact cleaner is excellent, the metal polish is user in the tumbler and to clean. All I use now, because of performance.

I did seek sponsorship because I was so impressed. I have never endorsed a lube until Lucas because frankly, none were worth it. Take that for what it is worth.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks everyone.

I was about to order the Mil-Comm MC25 products (cleaner, grease syringe and oil) but I'm glad the responses came through before I did so.

Thank you !

BTW, that's alot of purchases in a short time - congrats! I personally love my Kahrs. I have a PM9, PM40, and P45 and they are all fantastic. My standard carry gun is my PM40. The USPSA bug will bit you eventually (like for me) and next thing you know, you're dropping thousands on race guns :)

I know it sounds like a lot of guns....heck it is a lot. Before anyone gets the wrong idea and thinks I'm toting around a fat wallet.....understand this....I went through the small gun safe I have and looked at some guns that I'd picked up along the way never shot....hunting guns and other. I lucked out and was able to make some great trades for some new guns that I plan on using in the future. I'm going to start with GSSF events and then go from there. I've got a few buddies that have been after me to shoot sporting clays with them, too.

This past year has seen me going through a bunch of aggravating health-related setbacks, nothing too serious....but stuff that has kept me from doing much of anything other than working and resting. I've got one more thing to get repaired....an aggravating hernia...and then I can get my fat arse back in the gym on a daily basis and get into shape. I've got a couple years before my 50th birthday arrives and I'd like to be running in the occasional 5K race by then.

Getting in shape will make the shooting sports tons more enjoyable.

Sorry for the long health history.....just figured I'd throw it out there. What I'm doing now is done in effort to set myself up for some fun times ahead.

Future gun & gear purchases will be done so very....very carefully and with a lot of researching in here.

Same thing with the future reloading gear, too.

As a materials engineer with advanced course work in tribology, I knew that the majority of "gun oils" were just repackaged base oils that someone decided to charge 5 times what they sell for as motor oils. Heck, some are scented vegetable oils.

I used a mix of synthetic motor oil and race grade synthetic transmission fluid for years. I am sure you can go find my old posts here on Enos. The gallons of oil I got off the prize tables and with guns were tossed in a box after a short test proved they were not as good as my home brew. When new superlubes came out I tried and tested them and again, the hype was marketing and money driven, not performance.

Last year I got a bottle of Lucas Extreme duty and with normal skepticism, tried it. After a normal test I took the gun apart and something was different. I ran more tests and after testing, taking a look on the SEM and doing down EDS to see if it was in fact sticking to the metal, I was more impressed.

After some research, I switched to using Lucas Extreme. The contact cleaner is excellent, the metal polish is user in the tumbler and to clean. All I use now, because of performance.

I did seek sponsorship because I was so impressed. I have never endorsed a lube until Lucas because frankly, none were worth it. Take that for what it is worth.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks a ton.

That's some great insight.

I'll check around tomorrow and see if any of the local shops sell the Lucas Gun oils.

Lucas polish used in a tumbler (Lyman) well when I started using a month ago I no longer have to add the Dillon case lube or the One Shot anymore. Brass looks better than with the Dillon polish. It's worth trying and you will be surprised same as I, pleasantly surprised. The Lucas contact cleaner is much better than brake cleaner too. Just want to share my experience with you.

The Mil-Comm stuff separates in the bottle, and unlike Slip 2000 or other lubes with suspended PTFE, etc., it does not recombine easily. Make sure you shake it very, very well every time you use it.

For a glock when I clean it I pull everything out of the slide. I spray the slide with Mpro 7 cleaner. Really get it down the firing pin channel. Use a brush where I can get it. The mpro7 cleaner has surfactants so it pulls up all the carbon. I wipe it down and hose off with gun scrubber. Gun scrubber is great but doesn't really get the carbon.

For the barrel anything really works. I usually Mpro7 that too with a bronze brush.

For the frame I don't touch that too often. Wipe it down. Once in a while pull the trigger assembly out, wipe it off, and put some slide glide on the connector.

I'll use slide glide or Lucas gun oil for lube. Wilson makes some nice ones in different viscosities too. Doesn't really matter though.

• 2 weeks later...