Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm powder choices

chetc

Ah I see why VV N310 isn't the right choice for me: it's made for lighter bullets: http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/9-mm-luger.html

I live in a rural area so the first tests will be influenced by what's available. When I settle in ordering becomes an option. I'll take the list above and see what I can find locally.

Thanks!

Leam

Alliant Promo. $100/8lbs and I run 147 coated over 2.8 out of a G34 (OAL depends on the particular bullet, but I load long). Makes 900 fps.

Where you finding promo... First time I've heard ...put price is right.....

I've been using Promo for the last couple of years. I bought a case of 8# jugs at $88 per jug. It doesn't meter well in small charges but if works well across the range of bullet weights and types. It's not the best, but it works in 9/.40/.45 equally well using Red Dot load data.

Edited by Gandof

• 2 weeks later...

Where you finding promo... First time I've heard ...put price is right.....

Promo is available most places that sell Alliant powders. Powder Valley lists it for $103/8lbs. You can use Red Dot load data; the older Alliant and third-party manuals include a lot of data for most handgun cartridges. It's like Clays, but not as spikey and has a lot more top end. 2.8 under a 147 coated LFP will make +900 fps out of a G34 all day. I use it for a variety of cartridges, including for low-recoil .308 and .44 Magnum. 7.5 under a .44 240 SWC gets me nearly 1300 fps out of my Marlin 1894, and it's a hoot. I don't find it any dirtier than Titegroup.

My preference is Red Dot, I have also used Unique and Power Pistol. Unique has been very hard to find the last few years and Power Pistol seemed to snappy for me. I have a pound of Bullseye I need to test and would also like to test Titegroup. I am shooting 124gr Coated lead for minor PF.

been shooting mainly 9mm 125 and 147gr loads, i want to try another powder other than my usual titegroup, bullseye, unique and w231. been hearing good things on the Ramshot Competition, WST and WSF, any suggestions or shooters having success with any of them.

Chet

This thread should help:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218275

• 5 months later...