Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm powder choices

chetc

been shooting mainly 9mm 125 and 147gr loads, i want to try another powder other than my usual titegroup, bullseye, unique and w231. been hearing good things on the Ramshot Competition, WST and WSF, any suggestions or shooters having success with any of them.

Chet

Your four usual powders are awful good choices. WST and Competition are faster burning and will be similar to titegroup and bullseye, WSF is a bit slower burning and should feel more like the unique and 231 loads. If you can find any, VV N320 is considered by many to be the best of the best. I lucked into finding some recently and will be giving it a try in 9mm, but in 40 and 45 it is real good. One of my favorite and most consistent powders for 9mm is AA #2, meters like water, very accurate, and clean. I like the faster burning powders, a few others I have used with good success are e3, clay dot, and solo 1000. Another really good medium fast burner is SR7625, I get really good accuracy results with that.

My favorite that I have tried is AA#5. I have loads developed for Bullseye but it is smokey with lead bullets. My backup will be Competition as I have several bottles and load it for .45ACP revolver loads.

BE-86, Auto Comp, and Longshot all work really well for me in my 1911's and my Revolvers. Using 147 FP set at 1.100 make 130 pf in my 986 with BE-86 with a SD of 7.86. Going from 3.8 to 4.6 grains the SD was 10.25 at worst step on the ladder loads I tried.

Really liking WSF and 147s for both Hi-Tek and FMJs. Seems to be available a little more often lately. So far, proving to be very accurate and fast becoming my go-to for 147s.

N320 is pretty unanimously voted the best, if you don't mind the higher price and low availability.

High prices and low availability are a requirement for all things awesome in our sport. :D

I've used WSF, HP-38 and titegroup. Out of all of them I would choose HP-38, but you can't find it.

WSF is good. It meters really well. However, it's dirty if you don't push it relatively hard. I'm loading 4.95 grains under a 125 grain bullet and it's pretty dirty.

N320 is pretty unanimously voted the best, if you don't mind the higher price and low availability.

High prices and low availability are a requirement for all things awesome in our sport. :D

Yea no kidding! I've been using HP38/Win231 because it's much easier to find and pretty cheap compared to some other powders. I've had good results with it. I've heard pretty good things about CFE too.

• 3 weeks later...

320 is by far the best powder i have ever used. i can't get 320 anymore so i switched to 310. 2.8 under a bayou 147 did it for me. makes 127pf out of my g34. i tried wst and don't care for how it shoots. its just simply not near as smooth and fills the case too much for my liking. i feel like I'm dangerously close to compressing the loads. wsf was ok just like everyone else said. slow. takes a lot to push them ole 147lead loads. I'm anxious to try some competition.

320 is by far the best powder i have ever used. i can't get 320 anymore so i switched to 310. 2.8 under a bayou 147 did it for me. makes 127pf out of my g34. i tried wst and don't care for how it shoots. its just simply not near as smooth and fills the case too much for my liking. i feel like I'm dangerously close to compressing the loads. wsf was ok just like everyone else said. slow. takes a lot to push them ole 147lead loads. I'm anxious to try some competition.

Shot some loads with Ramshot Competition alternating with n320 today. Same powder charge, bullet, etc. it was indistinguishable from N320. Good stuff.

Suprised that CFE Pistol is not one of the top choices. I see AutoComp mentioned and CFE seems very close to AutoComp by all of the reviews. Is there a reason that CFE is not more popular?

CFE is still relatively new to the market. That said, most people buy a lot of powder at a time, and probably have to go through their current stock before they buy more.

• 2 months later...

I'm in a similar boat. Just moving to 9mm in a stock Sig P320. I want to run about 130 PF with a larger bullet, so a 147 gr needs to move ~890-900 FPS. I don't want to get near the upper SAMMI specs, but don't mind being a few PFs over minimum. Is VV 310 good for a straight lead 147? Is it a clean burning powder?

Semi-funny story. My first USPSA match was in 2008 and I had a .40 S&W lead bullet sitting on Bullseye. One stage had 4 targets up close and low; they were basically stapled to each other and you had to shoot all 4. Before I was done I couldn't even see the actual target, the powder cloud was that dense!

Hence my desire for a very clean burning powder. :)

Leam