Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best barrel twist rate to stabilize a subsonic 9mm 147gr bullet?

BigMoosie

I've heard conflicting reports about what the best twist rate is for stabilizing a 147 grain bullet. Does anyone know? Most of the aftermarket barrel makers offer match barrels in 1-16 twist, which seem ideal for 115-124 grain bullets, but not for the 147. I'm looking to run 147 grain bullets through my G17, as I find this weight provides the most manageable recoil.

Thanks

Edited by BigMoosie

Thanks, it's just interesting to see that SilencerCo offer threaded Glock barrels in 1-10 twist. The 147 grain load I'm using runs at about 920 fps.

Edited by BigMoosie

The stock Glock barrel works very well. !47 sub-sonic has been an AMU staple for years in pistols, and Dave Sevigny perfected the load when he was shooting Glocks. Lot of hoo hah on the net about stuff that has already been done and proven.

The stock Glock barrel works very well. !47 sub-sonic has been an AMU staple for years in pistols, and Dave Sevigny perfected the load when he was shooting Glocks. Lot of hoo hah on the net about stuff that has already been done and proven.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do with the OEM barrel. Just curious, didn't Dave Sevigny eventually swap to a KKM gunsmith fitted barrel towards the end of his involvement with Glock?

Edited by BigMoosie

My 147 Xtremes were running about 935 fps out of my Glock 34.

Dave Sevigny I think only used KKM's for the Bianchi Cup only and I think they were fitted by John Nagel.

Thanks, that sounds like you were running the same load he was with the 147. Interesting to see that Sevigny felt the need to go to a match fitted KKM for the Bianchi, and counters the mantra of many Glock users who say the OEM barrels are plenty accurate. I've struggled to get better than a 3.5 inch groups off hand with my G17 at 25yds, where as out of my 1911s or wheelguns I can shoot half that or tighter. From what I've seen gunsmith fitted Glock barrels deliver, and can be tuned to function reliably. It looks like Barsto however is the only barrel maker making gunsmith fit barrels for the Glock; KKM only offer drop-in's now apparently. None of the makers apart from SilencerCo, with their threaded barrels, offer 1-10 twist barrels for the Glock, obviously for the 147 and subsonic stability. Interestingly, KKM, Barsto and others only offer 1-16 in their threaded drop-in offerings so you have to wonder how good they are shooting 147s.

Edited by BigMoosie

Briley in Houston still manufactures gunsmith fit barrels for Glocks, as well as BarSto. My experience is that the Briley barrels needed about as much fitting as the BarSto and were short chambered. Perhaps that has changed now, but it was true a couple of years ago. The Briley Glock barrels are also a 1 in 16 twist rate. When I called them to ask why they ceased making gunsmith fit Glock barrels, KKM told me they quit making them because they had too many screwed up barrels come back with complaints from "amateur" gunsmiths.

Briley in Houston still manufactures gunsmith fit barrels for Glocks, as well as BarSto. My experience is that the Briley barrels needed about as much fitting as the BarSto and were short chambered. Perhaps that has changed now, but it was true a couple of years ago. The Briley Glock barrels are also a 1 in 16 twist rate. When I called them to ask why they ceased making gunsmith fit Glock barrels, KKM told me they quit making them because they had too many screwed up barrels come back with complaints from "amateur" gunsmiths.

Yep.. That's what KKM told me too a while back.