Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the loudest timer?

Stan-O

After having shot 99-40 (4-string 4-seconds par time classifier shot at 15', 30', 45' and 60') outdoors and barely hearing the timer there it turned into a complete disaster trying to run this classifier indoors. We had to toss out the stage halfway thru the 1st shooter and replaced it another classifier.

I really like the concept tho, so I'm wondering if there's maybe a timer which is significantly louder than the others?

Or is it a tall order trying to find the timer which will be heard over the gunshots (and especially over the indoor range echoes)?

99-40 description specifically mentions audible signal for start/stop, but can it be legally changed to a visual signal? Are there inexpensive timer setups supporting visual signals?

How close are the ROs holding it to your head? I tend to put it as close as possible without interference or allowing the shooter to see my hand movements on an uprange facing start.

The loudest I have heard is:

http://www.ruready.com/

Thanks, when I've searched the forum I've seen one or two comments saying that the Speedtimers are the loudest. If you have a first-hand experience with them all, how *much* louder you'd say the Speedtimer 3000 is over say CED 7000?

What some clubs do is use the 8000 timer and get the external horn attached to it. That really helps with broadcasting the buzzer sound out when it gets loud.

Thanks, that would certainly be an option, I'm a bit worried that it requires a wired connection tho.

How close are the ROs holding it to your head? I tend to put it as close as possible without interference or allowing the shooter to see my hand movements on an uprange facing start.

When we shot outside RO held it very close to the ear. Inside with CED7000 it didn't really matter, you couldn't hear it over gunshots anywhere.