Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak hand grip

hal1955

i am shooting super senior production now, and i have some arthritis in my left (support hand) wrist, therefore I can't squeeze the gun like i did 20 years ago. Does anyone know if there is an approved pistol out there with dimples or grooves on the frame for the support hand thumb and forefinger to pinch on ? I feel it might help me control the gun a bit better. Tks in advance.

not sure I understand the question? the weak hand thumb plays no role in your grip ... it simple points straight forward with the strong hand thumb resting on top of it .... most of us don't even have it touching the gun so that it can't impart any sideways force which would then need to be counteracted by a sideways force from the strong hand. As for your forefinger it wraps over your strong hand fingers and doesn't touch the gun either ..... I guess I'm missing something about what you're trying to do ......

Edited by Nimitz

the weak hand thumb plays no role in your grip ...

you mean it plays no role in YOUR grip.

many of us do use the weak hand thumb (particularly the MCP joint, but even my proximal joint and pad of thumb make contact with the frame). It nicely counteracts the force applied by my weak-hand index finger. I'd be willing to bet that even you are applying pressure with the MCP joint (proximal joint of your thumb, about where it joins your palm).

For the OP, perhaps a thumbrest (assuming you aren't shooting ss or prod) is in order.

Edited by motosapiens

the weak hand thumb plays no role in your grip ...

you mean it plays no role in YOUR grip.

many of us do use the weak hand thumb (particularly the MCP joint, but even my proximal joint and pad of thumb make contact with the frame). It nicely counteracts the force applied by my weak-hand index finger. I'd be willing to bet that even you are applying pressure with the MCP joint (proximal joint of your thumb, about where it joins your palm).

For the OP, perhaps a thumbrest (assuming you aren't shooting ss or prod) is in order.

actually I've worked very hard at ensuring my thumbs do not play any role in my grip and do not touch the gun from way back when I was first learning to shoot my G34 3 years ago and the slide wouldn't lock back on an empty chamber ... thought I was having gun issues until someone pointed out what was actually happening ....

i could have been more precise and said that classic theory on how to form a neutral grip includes not imparting any sideways force to the gun with your thumb which will need to be counteracted by another sideways force from the other side ...

actually I've worked very hard at ensuring my thumbs do not play any role in my grip and do not touch the gun from way back when I was first learning to shoot my G34 3 years ago and the slide wouldn't lock back on an empty chamber ... thought I was having gun issues until someone pointed out what was actually happening ....

i could have been more precise and said that classic theory on how to form a neutral grip includes not imparting any sideways force to the gun with your thumb which will need to be counteracted by another sideways force from the other side ...

yeah, if you're talking about the last joint of your weak hand thumb, i agree you don't generally want to impart any sideways force, but watching how the sights move when you shoot can tell you alot about whether yer doin it right or wrong.

I (and others) apply quite alot of pinching force with the base of the thumb, which many people probably consider to be part of the palm of their hand. The more i pinch with my weak hand, the more i can relax my strong hand and just run the trigger. I assumed that was what the OP was talking about, but I could be wrong.