Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 and 986 chambers

mcb

Just curious can you guys shoot 9x19mm in you new 929's or 986's without moonclips? Do they head space correctly off the case mouth or are the moonclips required?

Clips required if you don't want to pound the case out...

I under stand the extraction issue I was wondering more about chambers and head spacing.

Has anyone tried it just to see if it would work yet?

I have done with my 610 and 10mm brass never tried it with my 625 though.

my 929 needs clips, if you drop a round in it goes all the way in below the extractor. This is consistent with 9xsomething bigger than 19 chamber.

my 625 would easily shoot without clips.

Thanks seanc. I wonder why S&W did not chamber them to allow head spacing off the case mouth?

ETA, I read on another forum someone speculating they where chambered for 9x21mm rather than 9x19mm for export to countries where 9x19mm is not civilian legal.

Edited by mcb

If you chamber the cylinder to headspace on the casemouth, a case that is a bit too long would drag on the breach face. They headspace on the moonclip, so there is no value in chambering to headspace on the casemouth as well. We're using moonclips for extraction anyway, why would you want to trim your brass?

If you chamber the cylinder to headspace on the casemouth, a case that is a bit too long would drag on the breach face. They headspace on the moonclip, so there is no value in chambering to headspace on the casemouth as well. We're using moonclips for extraction anyway, why would you want to trim your brass?

I agree with you PatJones it really doesn't make sense to run a rimless revolver without moonclips, but the thread I was reading on a another forum made me curious especially since I knew my 610 works just fine with 10mm Auto and no moonclip. In all my reloading I have never trimmed a 40S&W, 10mm Auto or 45 ACP and have never had an issue in my semi-auto's that with case length so why would we might expect greater problems with our rimless revolvers? It seems like it should be a non-issue to put proper 9x19mm chambers into the cylinder. Not a big deal either way just curious. Would a proper length chamber help with accuracy any? Seems like it could/should.

Edited by mcb

If you remove the barrels from your autos and drop a re-sized case in, I think you'll find they don't headspace on the case mouth either.

You think wrong. I've plunk tested in all my 1911s, my Glocks, my STIs. All headspace on case mouth with back of case flush with end of barrel hood.