Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Release Failure

JupiterAdam

Has anyone experienced a failure of the magazine release? During the make ready command, my M&P Pro 40 would not retain a magazine - it just slid out repeatedly. Upon removal of the Costa Catalyst extended magazine release, the reason was clear - the tab which retains the magazine had worn off completely (after 1.5 years and 3000 rounds).

I would like to hear of any similar experiences with the plastic Costa Catalyst - in order to determine if this is typical wear or unexpected failure. I would also like to hear if anyone has had issues/failures with the metal extended magazine release made by LF Arms.

Thanks in advance, Adam.

Domineaux and CPW1265,

Thanks for the response. Would you mind pulling your mag release out and reporting back on any wear (the tab on mine was completely eaten away). Although I am likely to go with the metal version, I am interested in hearing on how other releases have wore over time and use. Thanks, Adam.

My M&P Pro .40 started dumping mags after only about 6 months of use with the factory part. Same problem...mag tab worn on mag release. I had to order an od green one from SSS because all of the black ones were sold out. My 9L is much older, and no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a shout out to the guys at 21st Century Gunfighter. They replaced my broken magazine release without any hassle or cost. I always appreciate a company that stands behind their products.