Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Pistol.... Where is your Zero?

idHawk

I am curious to know the distance at which you guys zero your Open Pistols? I was speaking with a GM the other day and he told me his zero is set at 20 yards. I was surprised. I had always set mine much closer, but then again, what do I know? I just barely hit B class.

For years, I used a 25 yard zero.

Recently, I switched to a 10 yard zero. I normally shoot indoor matches and the longest shot is normally less than 15 yards. This makes the head shots easier.

Because I have an Aimpoint Micro, my HOB is only 1". So At 25 yards, I'm 1.2" high and at 50 yards, I'm 2" high. If you have a much higher HOB, a 10 yard zero will make your 25 yard and 50 yard shots impact much higher than your point of aim..

20 yards here too, with a horizontally mounted C-more. It hits on the dot out to 50. Inside of 7-8 yards it hits about 3/4" low. I use a 6 MOA dot.

I was told by a GM to zero for the tightest shot you will likely encounter in a match, which he suggested would be a 6" plate at 20-25 yards.

I have a quinn mount and zero at aprox 17 meters, soo 18,5 yards.

Reason? private range with only me most of the time....

POI change is minimal, from supershort, to pretty long, speed and low mount helps of course.

Check out posts #51, # 53, and #64:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236&page=3

And post #19 on this one:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83752

There is some good info in those graphs.

I typically use 115gr bullets and sight mine in dead nuts at 18-20 yards and then (ideally) check at farther distances to ensure the windage is good, and at close distances to ensure I have a mental picture of the hold over required on the 3-5 yard targets. i use a 6MOA dot so pretty much anything between about 10-50 yards will be within the diameter of the dot.

Edited by Bamboo

good topic. Always wondered about that so I had the opportunity to ask Max Michel and he recommended 18-20yrds

Years ago there were more long range shots in matches then there are today.

I'm with Max

Marty

A-7424

I get it on paper at 25 yards and fine tune the zero at 50 yards. It is common to have 35-40+ yard shots at our local club matches. Every practice session starts and ends with groups at 50 yards, with the expectation 10 for 10 off hand freestyle A zone hits.