Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tanfoglio limited vs sit edge

dlp40cal

has any body owned both can you tell me pros and cons of both limited vs edge how do they match up. thanks for any help thinking about a limited tanfoglioneed help . thanks all reply

Sti edge is extremely well established and parts are everywhere. Sti promotes and supports uspsa.

Tanfo elite limited has almost no following at the upper levels and parts are sometimes hard to get. Heck even getting the gun can be tough! It seems EAA doesn't give a rat's @$$ about uspsa or competition sports. I thought that would change with Ben stoeger on board......

However, the limited can be very competitive against the 2011's. There's really nothing lacking as long as the gun fits your hand. It's a great alternative to the 2011's. I think it was cha-lee that told me the gun was just as competitive with the 2011 but he had trouble with slides cracking and crappy customer service and he had to buy entire uppers to replace. He couldn't just buy a replacement slide......

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

I've never owned an STI or any other 2011 platform, but I've handled them and I've never been really big on how they felt in my hands, compared to a CZ/Tanfo platform. I decided to go with a Tanfo Limited when I started building a Limited gun. It remains to be seen if this was a good choice compared to a 2011, but I like being different and I just love the way a CZ/Tanfo fits my hands.

I'm just getting started and have a box full of parts left to install, but here is where I am now.

20150526_191557_zpsaylpxyat.jpg

I think a lot of it depends on preference. I don't like the balance of the STI's compared to the Tanfoglios and the STI slides feel sluggish to me. They are very nice guns and both perform very well.

You need to decide which you like better and go with that platform.

Also if you want to be cool like all the other kids, get the STI. If you want to be different, get the Tanfoglio.

Edited by Nealio

I started shooting a Tanfo Limited gun this year and I really like it. So far it has been very reliable and crazy accurate. It did develop a small crack in the frame after 9500 rounds but it has not gotten any worse. When it gets bad enough, hopefully EAA will stand behind it. There is very little support and if you can't work on your own guns it may not be the right choice. That said, once I got the trigger and fire control squared away, the gun has run like a champ. Unless something really strange happens, I don't plan on changing back to the 2011 platform.

I've never owned an STI or any other 2011 platform, but I've handled them and I've never been really big on how they felt in my hands, compared to a CZ/Tanfo platform. I decided to go with a Tanfo Limited when I started building a Limited gun. It remains to be seen if this was a good choice compared to a 2011, but I like being different and I just love the way a CZ/Tanfo fits my hands.

I'm just getting started and have a box full of parts left to install, but here is where I am now.

20150526_191557_zpsaylpxyat.jpg

That's just gorgeous! They're great shooting guns no doubt.

Since I've had both I can tell you that the tanfo does have a little better balance but you will get used to either. I felt like my sti recoiled a little softer. The sti grip is very thick even after a reduction. The tanfo with EG grips is very thin. I felt like the tanfo indexed better for me. The tanfo has a lot of slop in the slide to frame fitting and a bit in the barrel. It is still very accurate. The sti has almost zero slop.....

In the end I picked the sti over the limited. The trigger is better but the main reason is because I have the sti apeiro which has the sight tracker barrel and it is pretty awesome.

Oh the limited was 100% reliable. My sti came with one 126mm mag that was 100% I bought 3 - 140mm sti mags and not one of them worked well. I had bullets jamming into the feed ramp. I had to buy the Dawson Precision mag tuning kit ($100) to get them to work.......

Honestly I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them......

859f8ccbad9a596a91885aa5044c3dfd.jpg

PS. I asked a very well known tanfo shooter if he thought the limited could be competitive with the 2011. His response:

"Todd... I think the Tanfos are competitive with 2011s for some people. If you can option the gun out to "fit" you (trigger length, grips, etc) it should work fine. There just aren't as many options as 2011s"

The best option is to have both! Lol

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

I'm using a .40 Stock III in Limited (SA only) and I think its excellent. It absorbs recoil extremely well, and generates very little muzzle flip. I get 18 rounds in the (extended, and with Grams kit) mags, and they are very reliable. The SA trigger is about 2lb with a short - but not super short reset.

I do also have an STI Edge, but as it's in .45, the only thing I'll say is that it is extremely well made and very reliable once (just like the Witness) you work out what OAL it likes to feed. Out of the box it has a slightly heavier trigger than the Stock III but a shorter reset. The mags required tweaking and I still don't have as much confidence in them as the Witness mags.

I went through this same debate myself, actually still going through it. I am planning on going 2011 because I am primarily a 3 gunner (I use USPSA matches as pistol practice) and more often than not I am starting on a empty chamber. Due to the half slide I found that I was having difficulty grabbing the slide to charge the gun after dumping a shotgun or rifle. Plus lack of parts/support worries me, I hope someday that changes but if I can scrape the cash together to make the trip to Blue Ridge/Rockcastle/SMM the last thing I want is some small part breaking that ends my match because is the one thing I don't have in my parts bag. The support that 2011s have available I have confidence that anywhere I go I can get my hands on any part I may need.

All that said, if I was only playing pistol games I would go Tanfo in a heartbeat. I think they have a lot going for them, and with the popularity of Tanfos/CZs in production I think its only a matter of time until the support problem is fixed. Given EAAs HORRIBLE support something tells me it will be the CZs that come out on top of the two, but time will tell. Like others have said with Ben coming on board I am still hopeful that Tanfo somehow forces the EAA support issue.