Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting mainsprings

Merlin Orr

I have a very heavy mainspring in my 6" Limited gun. About 19 #s I think. Has a slide that has been lightened and about a 14# recoil spring. I want to try a lighter mainspring. Is it acceptable to cut coils on the mainspring to lighten it? Would I be better off doing replacements with successively lighter springs till I get to where I want to be? What are those of you with light slide 6" guns using?

Merlin I put ISMI 17# in all the guns I build. They are great.

Mr. Modest

As my gun is presently in a brown truck heading to CC, TX right now...

When I see it again I hope it has that very spring installed. :D

The "45 shop manual" says to never cut more than two coils. I can't see any reason to ever cut one at all.

Springs are cheap. Order a bunch next time you are ordering something else. (I can't believe that TL...of all people...would cut them)

Just a little story to scare the MS cutters...

I was putting a custom replacement grip on an STI that a local junior shooter had. I had to tear down the original MSH to get the parts off of it for the new one. When I pulled the cap pin...I waited and waited for it to do some "spinging". You know, that cool shooting of parts acrossed the room thing. Nothing. It was like opening a stale 2 liter bottle of pop.

The spring that was in it was a chop job. The kicker was that this gun had always had issues with light primer hits. :(

Once they ordered in a new MS, the shooter was able to finish out the year strong. I expect him to make A-class on his next classifer.

That makes me feel better. I know you don't like to point your own hammer or dremel tool towards your blasters...so I was suprised to see that you might clip the ms. :)

Anything done during experimenting is good to go. ;)