Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 no case for initial caliber conversion kit?

Easy big fella. Reloading takes patience and some common sense. I'm sure you can figure out some place to keep your conversion kit. I always has my press set for some caliber or another. I never have a need for an extra case. Pretty sure if you email Dillon, they'll send you one. I'm so sure, that if they say no, send me a copy of the email with your address and I'll send you one.

Easy big fella. Reloading takes patience and some common sense. I'm sure you can figure out some place to keep your conversion kit.

No need to be condescending. I have no idea what patience has to do with this and figuring out what to do with the the components after a swap is obviously not a big issue. The point is that if you buy a conversion kit separately you get a storage case labeled with the caliber designation, right? Nice, neat and organized. What you would expect from Dillon. It's just odd that they would exclude that for the caliber you choose to have installed. Wouldn't it be much handier to have a labeled case to store them in when necessary?

I always has my press set for some caliber or another. I never have a need for an extra case. Pretty sure if you email Dillon, they'll send you one. I'm so sure, that if they say no, send me a copy of the email with your address and I'll send you one.

I appreciate the offer, but it's not necessary. Like I said, I was just surprised that it wasn't included and I was just wondering if that was normal.

Easy big fella. Reloading takes patience and some common sense. I'm sure you can figure out some place to keep your conversion kit.

No need to be condescending. I have no idea what patience has to do with this and figuring out what to do with the the components after a swap is obviously not a big issue. The point is that if you buy a conversion kit separately you get a storage case labeled with the caliber designation, right? Nice, neat and organized. What you would expect from Dillon. It's just odd that they would exclude that for the caliber you choose to have installed. Wouldn't it be much handier to have a labeled case to store them in when necessary?

I always has my press set for some caliber or another. I never have a need for an extra case. Pretty sure if you email Dillon, they'll send you one. I'm so sure, that if they say no, send me a copy of the email with your address and I'll send you one.

I appreciate the offer, but it's not necessary. Like I said, I was just surprised that it wasn't included and I was just wondering if that was normal.

It was never my intention to be condescending.

I did get an empty blue box that said Spare Parts on it and I assumed it was for things like the large primer disc and the large charge bar and such. I guess I just thought there would be the standard conversion kit box I've seen in pictures with the holes to insert the pins, locator for the shell plate and whatnot.

It was never my intention to be condescending.

Just to point out, when I read your comment and saw you were a moderator I was a bit surprised as I took it to be a bit condesending myself.

My surprise was at how these forums seem to be moderated, so it caught my attention...

I've been using online forums for many years, and know that sometimes it's hard to know how someone meant something, and you seem honest about not meaning it to be condensending...so I don't mean to chastise you.

These days I go out of my way to be considerate to as many people as I can, since it's so easy to miss some expression in text.

I would like to thank you for helping moderate these forums, it can be a tediuous job in itself. :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came with a blue box too, but like I said, it had a label that read "Spare Parts". I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that it was literally for spare parts like the large primer wheel and others not always installed on the machine. I assumed there would be one labeled for the caliber conversion you had selected when you bought the machine so that if/when you installed another caliber you had something to put your current one in. It doesn't sound like that is what they normally do.

On that note - I had inquired about it with Dillon and while they didn't say whether it should have some with one or not, they did send me one labeled 38 Super/9mm Conversion Kit. So kudos to them for doing that. I never actually asked for one, I just said it didn't come with one and asked if it should have. So there customer service is as good as I've read.

I read the OP as ranting—over a missing plastic box that could easily be replaced with a piece of Tupperware, if nothing else. There was nothing condescending about youngneyes response.

OP: Call Dillon and ask for the box for your conversion kit. They'll probably be happy to send you one.

or, order

XL650/SquareDealB/SL900 Conversion Kit Box 13636 $2.65

At least you get the allen wrenches that are needed, maybe in lieu of the box?

Edited by noylj

I read the OP as ranting—over a missing plastic box that could easily be replaced with a piece of Tupperware, if nothing else. There was nothing condescending about youngneyes response.

OP: Call Dillon and ask for the box for your conversion kit. They'll probably be happy to send you one.

or, order

XL650/SquareDealB/SL900 Conversion Kit Box 13636 $2.65

At least you get the allen wrenches that are needed, maybe in lieu of the box?

1. In no way was I ranting. My first post was merely asking if it should have included it to see what others experienced and my second expressed my displeasure with it but I even said "it's a minor deal". Kind of the opposite of a rant when you say it's not a big deal.

2. I have explained that when I asked what we're supposed to do with the kit when not in use, I wasn't literally unsure what to do with them. It's obvious any baggie, Tupperware or even a drawer would suffice. I was asking what Dillon expected us to do with them. If I purchase say four more caliber conversions, they will each come with a labeled box from Dillon which shows they want to provide us a storage solution for those items. It seemed odd to me that they wouldn't do the same with your original caliber kit and leave us to either keep our original caliber kit in some other container like a baggie or Tupperware when not in use, or place it inside some other caliber kit's box making things now mislabeled and possibly causing confusion down the road. Dillon seems like they have great attention to detail and omitting the box (if it was on purpose) just seems a bit counter to that.

3. If you had read my post right above yours you would see that I did email Dillon to ask if that was the standard way of things. I did not ask for a box. They didn't answer if that was normal, but just sent me a 9mm caliber kit box. Kudos to Dillon and their customer service

I'm sorry this seemingly innocuous question ruffled a couple feathers. Ultimately, the issue is resolved and I love my Dillon 650 even if they hadn't sent me the box. Thanks for the replies guys.

Edited by bozrdang