Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think I screwed up my 929

Fordfan485

Just did a trigger job following along with Jerry Miculek's dvd. I replaced the rebound spring with a Wolff 11lb spring and put in the Miculek main spring. Sometimes the trigger now will not reset under the sear. Here is a video of the problem. Doesn't seem to matter how much main spring tension I have. It does it at 9 lbs all the way down to 6 lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpEZdYIJdSU

Edited by Fordfan485

From what I can tell, the seize point appears to be at the end when the rebound slide attempts to push the hammer up and out of the way. The foot of the hammer and the seat of the rebound slide need to be stoned and polished when you run a lighter spring, this allows them to glide over each other upon re-set (this is more critical if you run a heavier hammer spring because now the weaker rebound spring has got to try and overcome it right at the end of the re-set). If it is still seizing with the hammer spring removed, then that tells me that the parts are too rough or not properly lubricated.

In my experience, when you drop down to a lighter rebound spring everything needs to be smooth and slick to get a reliable re-set.

Also be wary of dry firing too much with the sideplate off, it can bend or break the boss pins.

Hard to say from video, but it looks like maybe the clearance is a little tight at the bottom end of the DA sear where it swings across the top of the trigger beak. Might need to LIGHTLY polish the tip of the DA sear? The DA sear fit is super critical to get a proper pull, it might be a shade tight (?) but don't remove much just polish with 600 paper on a flat stick.

I also polish the front face of the DA sear mirror smooth to help the trigger nose glide by more easily.

Edited by bountyhunter

You never dry fire with the side plate OFF! keep doing it and you Will break the hammer pin, ( no support on the pin ) the sear does not have enough clearance to pick up on the trigger, Smith & Wesson Armors school says there is 51 known problems you can have on a revolver ( That's a lot ).

Noticed the da sear spring was all jacked up looking and twisted. I turned it around and put it all back together and it works fine now with the side plate on. Thinking I may change take it apart again swap the 11lb spring for the 12lb rebound spring.

Edited by Fordfan485