Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 ?

Dr.J

What is the consensus on the 929? I like the idea of a 9mm revolver for steel, ICORE competitions, and general range use, but am apprehensive due to the number of quality complaints I read about on this and the Smith and Wesson forum. It sounds to me that the number of guns with problems outnumber the guns that are good to go out of the box, e.g., bad barrels, rough triggers, poor accuracy. $1,100+ is a lot of money to pay for a gun that you may have to pay a gunsmith to make right. In addition, 929 owners have not been complimentary about S&W's customer service. Am I being overly cautious or thinking incorrectly? I'd really like to purchase one. Dr. J

I have only seen one run in competition and it seemed to run well. It is Tom of TK Custom's grandson who shoots it. Personnally I will pass and stick to my 627 setup. Far too many internet issues with the gun. I'm sure for general range use 95% of them are just fine but competitors expect more than just fine performance.

For range use and plinking it's fine, but then again my old K38 will out shoot it accuracy wise.

For competition it will need some work done. I expected more, never got it.

My son bought one that ran right out of the box, but he seems to be in the minority. I thought about a 929 but I'm past those days of tinkering with my guns.

I want something that runs right out of the box (OK, with a little tuning). With all of the negative that I have read, and heard about. I decided to stick with my 627.

I even thought about a 986 for steel, but talked with another steel league member who has problems with that model as well.

I also have 2 of them... Not unlike any other gun..... Needs a little "tinkering", whether needed or not? ( Man's right to fix the unbroken).... Both of mine were fairly decent from the Factory (one was from the 1st. run @ S&W). You need to find a powder/bullet combo that works without major case expansion. I had my moon clips built too tight at first and I had the "sticky" extraction issue and my powder choice could have contributed to my dilemma .....This turned out to be mostly MY fault. I always use the LEE "U" die in the first stage for all my pistol calibre reloads.... Well, the die was loose and was not sizing down far enough and I was using Clays powder (Too much). My primary brass was once fired Federal. (Other's including myself, have pointed out that your best off using one head stamp of brass or looser moon clips if you mix and match brass, just to keep things a little more consistent). 9mm brass differs enough to affect the revolver shooter's.

In my case, I shoot lot's of 9mm, so it kind of made sense? for me to switch from 38 Short Colt (Ahh, the new gun "got to have it" syndrome). If your not suffering from this condition? and your happy with your 627, I can't see a major reason to switch....Mike

I've never had any issues with mine. It works fine from the first day on. Of course, you have to spend some work on the trigger but which revo trigger runs as fine as we want to from factory? An Apex hammer plus firing pin, some polishing and I got it. Shot some IPSC matches and a Steelchallenge with it in between and I'm really happy with it!

No issue with mine after 5 months of local matches and one major match last weekend. Nothing done to it except my gunsmith working on the springs to lighten the trigger. On the other hand, my gunsmith had to fix my 627 right out of the box. I guess I'm luckier with my 929 than my 627.

For what it's worth, I had some issues with mine. Really poor trigger, and some other things that I had to address. The gun is accurate and fun to shoot. I was fortunate enough to have been on Tom (of TK Custom fame) and Eli (Tom's grandson) squad at revo nationals. I sent my 929 in to them and now it's awesome.

Mine ran fine right out of the box. The trigger was heavy as hell but I shot many rounds through it all different brands. I also shot different reloads of mine through it as well without issue. Accuracy was never a problem I found that it velocities were slower than I would have thought. I did send it to Mark at Pinnicale for a trigger job and that solved that issue with a 5.5 lb trigger. I have worked a load for Steel and falling steel that's works great. I did change the grip to a big butt just because this is my preference.

Started with

94aee615681286a3c87d9282b0345055.jpg

Ended with

567067660efacbed6003adb3e07a26b0.jpg

Edited by Scootertheshooter

I absolutely love my 929 > the most accurate gun I own. I also have a 627 which is very nice too but doesn't compare to the 929 IMO. Both have be "APEXed" and I have changed the sights and grips. After about 1 month of working up loads and working out the "kinks", I'm supremely confident in the 929. I will be buying another 929 since I plan on wearing out the first one.

I just bought a 929 last week and shot it in a local match yesterday. I only fired a couple of clips to see where it was hitting before the match. Gun ran great! Accuracy was outstanding and good thing since we had a stage with a 35 yard popper. The trigger is heavy but it's going to BC Armory Wednesday for an action job and fiber optic front sight. Factory 147 Winchester dropped free from the cylinder without issue. All in all I love the gun and am glad I bought it.

• 1 month later...

I have no regrets about buying my 929. I shot it in my first match last Sunday. I had very few clips for it and for my first revolver match I came in 69% of GM John Z. I had a rough day at the range and identified several weaknesses that I can work on and get stronger. I didn't miss any long shots on paper, but I was sweating large portions of my posterior off and this contributed to a big difficulty in hitting small steel at distance.

I originally put the big butt on because of the 50 yard prone shot on Far and Near. Putting that hunk of wood down into the ground lets you use it like a turret. Much more stable, and more predictable accuracy for long shots squeezed off under a stingy par time. Now my hands are used to it and I like it for everything.

Mine came in yesterday after a year of waiting. Almost cancelled my order too given all the issues and complaints as well. Inspected the 929 before proceeding with the paperwork and was happy the barrel was clocked properly.....maybe over clocked by a hair's width. No cylinder binding and cylinder gap looked good. Outer circumference of the forcing cone had lots of burs, but otherwise clean. Took the comp off and the crown looked good too.

19974992082_4d8cd7c793_b.jpg

Double action pull was rough but the SA was crisp and light. Removed sideplate and noted that the insides were practically dry with no lube visible where it mattered. Already purchased an Apex hammer, firing pin and rear sight blade months ago (same setup as the 625 and 627) but figured accuracy should be checked first in the event I got a PC lemon before performing any mods. Liberally lubed the guts, swapped the OEM rebound spring for a lighter one and the DA pull improved dramatically.

Loaded up 4 moon clips, 2 OE/TK clips and 2 Ranch Products clips with Federal RTP (Range, Target, Practice) 115 gr FMJ. 10 yards group all touched. No issues noted with cylinder binding and the empty cases all ejected with ease. 25 yard group opened up, but managed to keep them all within the head box of a b/c target outline:

19982694585_eaa20701d3_b.jpg

I don't reload (yet) but happy with the results using factory ammo at this time. Hope to get the Apex hammer/sear cut, fit and installed this weekend along with the usual polishing for a good smooth trigger. Thought the barrel would be long and unwieldy, but this revolver is a joy to shoot from a recoil and comfort perspective.