Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Peacemaker monthly match

ShooterSteve

We went to the Peacemaker W Va monthly match this weekend and had a really good time. 4 stages that were simple and straight forward, but still challenging. Everything was from prone, and spotters were able to call corrections to help shooters get on target. A total of 20 targets, with distances from 496 to 1096 yards. I went with another BE member, and I think he got his first shot of long range heroin! The guys on our squad were a good bunch of guys to shoot with, and we had a good time. Looking forward to going back. I can't make every match, as its a long drive and takes a hotel stay, but we will be going back when we can for sure!

Sounds like you guys had a good outing up there. I'm looking at ways to get a nice custom bolt gun without totally breaking the bank. So, nothing too fancy at first. Once I get that suared away, we might work on ways to share the driving from near Winston on up? Putting that thought out there for you guys. PM me if that sounds like an option.

Edited by michael1778

That's true, but if you build a single feed rifle, it will hold you back when the game gets more serious. Each shooter had five minutes to complete the stage. In a PRS match you would have had ninety seconds on that. You could always start with a top loader, and add a Dbm later, but a single feed action is going to slow you down. If you want a single feed let me know. I've got a friend with an older model Shilen br rifle for sale in 6ppc. It is a dedicated single feed. No upgrades later.

I wasn't meaning to lead you astray Micheal. The Precision Rifle game is NOT a dedicated single loading rifle game. Steve is correct in that. I simply meant that the match at Peacemaker could be shot with a stock Remington 700/Savage 1xx without any real penalty until you can upgrade. Of course you can buy a nice rifle to start but thats typically a large outlay. There is one on the Carolina Shooter Forums now.

I did the pieces route. Bought a Remington 700, then the upgrades as I could afford them. But one piece of advice.... save up and buy a scope ONCE. Its half your investment in the rifle.

Just listed a PRS ready rifle in the classifieds, bought it for a spare, but my sight tracker is ready so one had to go.

Good advice from Steve and J, pick up a reasonable set up that works from the start and it will save you money in the long run. A good caliber is wise as well, I have a 308 that is now fun to play with, but you cannot beat a 6.5 or 6 creed due to the flatter trajectory, as much as 100 in less than a 308 at 1000 yds. Good glass is a must.