Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I really shoot?

atomicbrh

I shoot because I enjoy it.  I hunted with my father when I was younger but that ended when I was 12yrs old.  The next time I picked up a gun was in the Marine Corps in the early 70's.  I did not pick up a gun again until 2008 when I got my license to carry.  I wanted to do more than stand in a lane at the range and shoot at a target.  Shortly after getting my HCP I discovered IDPA.  A few years later I found USPSA.  I enjoy the people I shoot with and the friendships I have made.  The shooting community has some of the best people in the county.  At 68yrs old I can still compete and hope to do so for many years.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me I would say it’s relaxation and stress relief therapy. At least the practice and random range sessions. 
Matches  are a hot mess of nerves and anxiety that requires more stress relief therapy to get over. It’s a vicious cycle. 

• 6 months later...

Gotta be honest here fellas, I am a retired vet and suffer from depression.  I am lucky because through out the years I have been able to accumulate lots of reloading equipment.  But to be honest, sometimes I don't even feel like doing anything, much less reload.  Going to the range feels like such a monumental task.  I try to make videos to keep me busy.  I mean, when I shoot I love it, its just getting to that point.  Thanks.

50 minutes ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I think shooting, for me, is a lot like martials arts. I do jiujitsu and muay thai. It is therapy, a release of energy, focus, and expression.

This... For me it's an exercise in focus and attention.

Chapo:  Synchronicity has provided you with some excellent advice.  If you have the opportunity and means, find a local shooting club or just a group of guys that get together and shoot (or load ammunition).  The presence of others that share your interests and get to know you make all the difference in the world.

Let us here on the forum know how you are proceeding.

Best wishes,

Ken

On 5/2/2022 at 10:06 AM, Chapo said:

I'm not big on just expending ammo.. I even have a nice private range in the back yard and years of primers on hand and still don't practice.. what I do enjoy is the fun and fellowship of competing. There are a lot of guys who are pretty excited about shooting matches.. including a good percentage of fun loving vets and active military/leos..   Once you add tacos and beers with friends after the matches it is like a small vacation pretty much every Saturday.

• 3 months later...
On 5/24/2015 at 6:23 PM, atomicbrh said:

I came to the conclusion that I match shoot because I am selfish. I want to live in the Zen moments as frequently as possible and extend the length of those zen moments as much as possible.

Old thread, but good topic. I shoot because I love nerding out on all the toys, loads and techniques from archery to sporting clays to USPSA to steel, it’s always something new to learn. When I’m shooting, loading, training, the hard focus is the Zen. 

I’ve been part of the shooting community for 40 years and it’s what I know and many of the people i can best relate to.  The comrade is equal to the shooting for me, especially as I get older. 

On 7/22/2015 at 12:05 PM, turnandshoot4 said:

I shoot because this is the only time I can dedicate my mind to something entirely. Well, shooting and surfing allow me to be single minded in an activity. Being from Indiana I don't get to surf much so shooting it is!

Yes! Meditative for me as well.

I shoot because this is the only time I can dedicate my mind to something entirely. Well, shooting and surfing allow me to be single minded in an activity. Being from Indiana I don't get to surf much so shooting it is!

Yes! Meditative for me as well.

Yes. Meditative for me as well.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

really appreciate this thread. ive struggled with the reason why i shoot......or even have hobbies in general.

it would be more useful to my family and career if i didnt as its something that divides my time to a degree. most if my friends dont shoot either.

ive felt selfish for years, working on improving and going to matches. 

its not so much that other areas in my life are neglected. its more just that as an adult, you realize that you could always be more productive with your time.

its hard not to feel guilty when there is so much you could be doing with that time.

ive come to the conclusion recently that shooting (or any other hobby) is about having control of something you enjoy. there are a lot of things in life that demand your attention. a hobby is something that you can enjoy at whatever level you like. if you want to be a super competitive at matches, you can work on that. if you want to just shoot casually and get out on the range, go for it.

the point is, you make the rules and its something you choose to do for you. i think people who like hobbies (like myself) need that in their lives. it scratches some itch.

shooting for me scratches a lot of itches. i am very competitive (in a friendly way) an enjoy chasing my range buddies on match day. i like having something to work on that is fun ti do. as an engineer, i like to gumsmif and tinker with guns, parts, etc. I like the reloading process both from a tinkering perspective and a perspective of chilling and watching tv while reloading.

i can do all this and be a good husband and dad and be good at my job. its the perfect hobby.

i used to ride motocross and that was just such a time sink, i couldnt find time to practice and be present for my fam and job.