Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I really shoot?

atomicbrh

I thought of another reason. The few matches I've shot have shown me I still have a competitive side. I think it's a healthy kind of competitiveness, as in: I'll help my fellow shooters and wish them well on every stage they shoot, but I have the burning desire to be better. That's all. I would not want to beat them if they aren't trying their hardest and shooting their best. If they are and I'm better that day, or they are better instead, so be it. They'll have a chance to shoot better another time, and so will I. I respect my fellow competitors by trying my hardest. Not trying hard would be disrespectful to others and myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back to the op, I hav been wondering this myself- with help from my new girlfriend. Why? What drives me to constantly think about it and ways to improve? I'm getting to the point now where the constant pressure it puts me under isn't ggod. My job does that enough. I don't really have any down time. I did hav an evening of dry fire the other night that was amazing. I was sick with a cold and had a little antihistamine in me so I was calmer and more relaxed than usual. I got to a point where I could sense the present so well. Not half a second earlier or later. If I moved my focus just the slightest bit things didn't go perfectly. Recently I hav once again thought about quitting and doing something the whole family can take part in. This is supposed to b a hobby and fun. I can tell u though that I love it and the shooters. Even if I don't know them. They r the best group of people I hav ever been around and if I quit, I will miss both. For me, I like to run that perfect stage, beating my friends when they do there best and chasing the "Majestic spark of excellence." I wish you all well.

I'm with the OP and its the Zen that I am chasing. When I hear "Is the Shooter Ready?" everything else gets muted and time slows down. I can forget about my screwed up marriage, long hours at work, bills, etc etc etc, its my therapy really. Makes it even better that between those few seconds of Zen I get to hang out with people that I have come to call my friends, all of which I met through shooting. Even after a bad match I still feel better, and I have found I start getting restless if I go too long between matches. Just that urge to get get out and do something to find those Zen moments that a match brings.

• 3 months later...

The distraction that only comes when you are fully focused on something else. And for me, that goes for both competing and RO'ing at a big match.

Sure, I can get my fix shooting 150 rounds in about 30 seconds in an afternoon. But, when I spend the entire day either focusing on a competition or running shooters and keeping things moving, then I achieve complete distraction through complete focus!

Plus, there is often snow on the ground at home wilst I am in a Frostproof Florida shooting and officiating at the Florida Open!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Before I got into shooting competitively, I was pretty heavy into drag racing growing up. The zen mindset is almost identical despite being two very different sports. From the time I strapped into the car (in the hole) to rolling through the water box and doing the burnout (on deck), staging the lights (LAMR), cutting a good light (reacting to the start of the buzzer instead of the tail), hitting my shift points on the pass while trying to keep the car straight (shooting the stage / hitting reloads at the right time / accuracy and efficiency in movement) and pulling the chutes (unload and show clear). The zen mindset shows to be identical, everything outside of the task at hand shuts down and everything subconsciously happens like clockwork when everything works like it's supposed to.

Before I got into shooting competitively, I was pretty heavy into drag racing growing up. The zen mindset is almost identical despite being two very different sports. From the time I strapped into the car (in the hole) to rolling through the water box and doing the burnout (on deck), staging the lights (LAMR), cutting a good light (reacting to the start of the buzzer instead of the tail), hitting my shift points on the pass while trying to keep the car straight (shooting the stage / hitting reloads at the right time / accuracy and efficiency in movement) and pulling the chutes (unload and show clear). The zen mindset shows to be identical...

Indeed, the best way to do everything is to remain fully immersed in the present moment. As such, what is generally described as a succession of present moments turns out to be never-ending presence.

I shoot because I enjoy the competitive aspect of it. Working on both the technical aspects and mental aspects of the sport are both challenging and rewarding. I enjoy being around gun people with common interests where you do not need to guard what you say. Over the years in shooting competitive pistol I have had the pleasure of meeting and being around some of the most genuine and sincere people.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot because I enjoy the competitive aspect of it. Working on both the technical aspects and mental aspects of the sport are both challenging and rewarding. I enjoy being around gun people with common interests where you do not need to guard what you say. Over the years in shooting competitive pistol I have had the pleasure of meeting and being around some of the most genuine and sincere people.

Agree. Shooting challenges you physically, your strategic thinking and your proficiency with your chosen instrument. It's a great, recreational martial art.

Plus, spending a day a week or a few weekends per year away with 'shooting friends' is a great way to leave work and everything else behind for a while, hitting the reset button for the week to come.

I don't know much about 'Zen' but there is a certain 'Germuetlichkeit' to the whole thing.

I shoot USPSA because:

*I like to make a contest out of everything. When I was younger it was:Wanna see who can hit that thing with a rock first? Now, Wanna see who can shoot these targets fastest?

*I have ADHD and a serious need for big stimulation, usually with an element of risk. Shooting loud guns fast while moving? I'm all in!

*I love to tinker, customize and work on things. Developing a load, getting the reloading bench set up, swapping out gun parts, and gunsmithing are a big part of the fun for me.

Great topic! I will share my story:

I have had multiple hobbies: Autocross, Drag racing, Road bike racing, Running, even a little guitar playing.

I typically get very focused and involved in the activity and generally reach burnout due to one thing or another. Usually, it is time. I got so involved in cycling that I was spending 3-6 hours per day riding. It literally took over my life. Since then my family has grown, my free time has shrunk and so has my hobby fund. At the root, I think I was looking for an "outlet" more than anything. A place where I could escape the world going on around me, clear my mind, and focus on something entirely different. I was addicted to "getting in the zone" more than anything else.

Here are a few reasons I continue to shoot, and why my main hobby is shooting:

I can shoot when I want to and not worry too much about "getting out of shape" or something like that. Fundamentals in shooting seem to stay with us fairly easily whereas other hobbies have constant upkeep. My gun understands if I can't see her for a month. I'm a full time husband, father, teacher, soldier, son, brother and whatever else. Sometimes my hobby will have to wait. It is best if it can do so patiently.

Shooting is hard. Darn hard. Especially shooting handguns. There is always something to improve upon.

There are a lot of fringe benefits to shooting sports: natural improvement in defensive skills, reloading and other aspects, a culture involved politically, and a connection to the principles that make us uniquely American.

There is a unique bond. I've been in cycling clubs / teams, running clubs and the like, but nothing is as laid back or has the same camaraderie as a good range group. All of the guys in USPSA / GSSF / IDPA I have met are super cool. Willing to teach you. Willing to cheer you on. Willing to see another person in the sport.

It's an easy activity to enter. Most of my friends have guns and it doesn't take much groundwork (other than safety fundamentals) to go to the range and practice. This is much different than convincing my friends and relatives to run 5 miles or bike with me for three hours, or buy a car to autocross.

Guns are an equalizer: it doesn't matter much if you are short, tall, strong, weak, male, female, young, old. Anyone can outshoot you.

It is good training and upkeep for the reality of my part time military gig. We don't have the time to train like we should, and guncraft is absolutely something that could save those around me.

When I shoot it is just me and the target. My mind is clear, and the world around me melts away. When I can't shoot I can reload, research, dryfire, and plan for the next match without much time or obligation. It truly is the perfect release for me.

Its an avocation. No different from any other. There is a coolness factor to shooting that transcends other similar activities like golf or bowling and it is less physically demanding than martial arts or distance running so older and less physically fit people can still participate. For me shooting is just a diversion from the routine of life. The social aspect of any activity is also very important. I also skydive and sitting around, drinking a beer with other jumpers after a day of jumping is as rewarding as the skydiving itself. I haven't found the social side of shooting to the same extent yet but there is a camaraderie among competitive shooters that is a beneficial part of the sport.

I shoot to compete. I was born a competitor, grew up that way in a house full of other kids, competed in every sport i could get into as a younger man and became a sales rep at a tech firm early on because I am driven to compete. I LOVE to compete. nothing gets me going quite like head to head competition and the timer keeps that alive for me.

I love the competition with oneself. I dislike team sports, though I did play semi pro paintball for a little while. After paintball it is was rock climbing, after rock climbing it was off-road dirt bike racing...and now shooting. With shooting, like climbing and racing, you get lost in the moment. With dirt bike racing this was 4+ hours compared to shootings 20 second stages, but after a mistake i get a mike instead of a cast. I like knowing that its no ones fault but my own if I don't succeed.

I like gadgets. I like researching guns and ammo trying to come up with the perfect combination of equipment for me.

When I double plug and that buzzer goes off I am in auto pilot for those 20 or so seconds, all of the training rolled up into one moment. I do it because I want to win. Like another said above if they didn't keep score I wouldn't play. Its one of the first sports I have gotten into that I can train every day if I want. At the end of the day I want to see my name at the top of the results sheet.

I don't have to drive to the mountains or gas up the bike and haul it to the lease. I can step in my garage and let the next hour be just about one thing. I'm learning to control my body and my mind. I can crank away rounds on my dillon and be at peace.

Edited by CrashDodson