Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer disc not fully advancing . . .

I've been noticing that the primer disc on my 650 doesn't seem to always fully advance - when this happens, there are a few accompanying symptoms:

1. very difficult to push forward into the primer seating portion of the upstroke

2. sometimes when pushing through the resistance in (1), the primer disc hole is close enough to alignment with the unprimed case that the primer seater is able to seat the primer and in the process, move the disc into the fully advanced position. Other times, pushing through the resistance in (1) results in an angled-seated and mashed primer.

3. what often works when I feel the resistance in (1) is give the primer indexing arm a slight pull, and then the press handle will 'release' (i.e., resistance disappears) and I can smoothly seat the primer. Sometimes, just backing off on the handle and then pushing again also works.

4. case insert slide does not fully seat the case - this seems very much related to the primer disc advancement because the case insert slide does fully seat the case if there is no case in station 2 or if I am able to complete the seating portion of the upstroke without any unusual resistance. This makes sense since the case insert slide is adjusted to fully seat a case into the shellplate at the full upstroke position of the press handle.

I was noticing all of the above last loading session when I noticed how worn the primer cam appeared. I replaced the cam with a new one from the spare parts kit, and that made a significant difference, with fewer instances of the primer disc not seeming to fully advance. But the problem is not fully eliminated, and aside from how much it slows loading, it seems to result in inconsistent powder charges, since I'll typically have to stop the forward/primer seating stroke when I encounter the stiff resistance, back off on the handle (including sometimes tugging a little on the primer indexing arm), and push again to both seat the primer as well as fully advance the case insert slide.

This is an older press, so I'm guessing that the worn primer cam may be a sign that other parts of the primer system are worn as well, but not sure what to look for or how best to diagnose this. Any suggestions (besides call Dillon, which I'm going to do after the long weekend)?

Edited by G19

Part of the problem I have with mine and it is pretty new is that I can sometimes be inconsistent with the rearwards primer seating. If I don't give really good push,my primer disk might not advance 100%. But mine might be needing a bit of lube too.

Problem solved! :D

I had borrowed an alignment tool from a friend (the large alignment tool that aligns platform with toolhead), so I tore the press down, cleaned everything, replaced a few worn/damaged parts from the spare parts kit, performed the alignment, lubed and reassembled. Just loaded 200 very easy, no-drama rounds.

Primers seating buttery smooth, no casemouths hitting powder funnel, no occasional slingshotting case insert slide. :)

Edited by G19