Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp-01 Shadow right side safety loose.

tha1000

Just noticed this while changing the grips and dry firing. Safety engages fine from the left side, but it has plenty of slop in the right side. I.e. I can push it almost to on without the left side moving. I don't foresee myself ever using the right side safety. So how do I tighten this up? Or is it an issue or could it cause issues if I do nothing about it?

I've searched and haven't found the answer to this particular issue. Thanks in advance for your time.

Mine is a little loose and I notice it move with the trigger. It is a little annoying, but functionally nothing is wrong. I have thought about trying to make it tighter, but gave up rather quickly; I just don't look at it anymore.

I'd read some posts on that situation researching this. It could have been like this all along and I never noticed it. I'll see if it moves when I pull the trigger and check for the detent and report back, tomorrow, time permitting.

Just noticed this while changing the grips and dry firing. Safety engages fine from the left side, but it has plenty of slop in the right side. I.e. I can push it almost to on without the left side moving. I don't foresee myself ever using the right side safety. So how do I tighten this up? Or is it an issue or could it cause issues if I do nothing about it?

I've searched and haven't found the answer to this particular issue. Thanks in advance for your time.

I talked to Stuart about this issue a few years ago. He suggested that I peen the end of the left hand safety to make the fitment of the right hand safety to it tighter. That helps but I just ended up getting another safety that had a tighter fit. Another thing that might work would be some sort of coating like hard chroming or cerakoting to fill in the gap.

The detent doesn't do anything about the slop.

If you want something that fits tight, I suggest getting a tumbler safety set and a tumbler style sear cage and a right side spring loaded detent.

Did the safety detent fall out? That's what holds the safety in place.

Looks like this:

http://czcustom.com/safteydetentplungercz75.aspx

Safety detent doesn't hold right safety in place, safety detent lock does and looks like this:

Sp01_Safety_lock.jpg

I should have clarified. If you have tumbler style safeties, then a detent does hold the right hand safety. If you have D style safeties, then yes, a detent lock would be what holds it in place.

Should be no risk. I have thin safeties on my accu and the right side is sloppy compared to the left. I've thought about ordering new safeties to correct this problem but it's not worth 90$ just so it doesn't move. It would be a different story if I used the safeties.

As i remember there was a very small spring and plunger on the left side thumb safety while none on the right side

Just order and install that tiny spring and plunger on the right side and to make it tight

I did this very thing on my SP01 (non shadow). It made the right side safety stiff as hell, and awesome. it was the perfect solution. Until the next time i tore the gun down to the frame to clean it and that right side detent spring came out. It was such a PITA to get it back in, and as i recall, at one point it shot across the room while trying to install it. I didn't bother looking for it, and just ran the gun with a sloppy right side safety until the day i sold it.

So if you do manage to get that detent spring to stay in, any time you take the slide off, it will have an oppotunity to come out. It's not like the left side which is meant to be there. The right side never had it, so it's not designed to stay in. It will, with a lot of effort, but it will come out VERY easily.

Good luck.

It's not a big deal as long as it isn't an issue to the operation of the pistol. I'm righty and don't use the safety, which is probably why I've never noticed it. I do know that the right side safety on my TS doesn't exhibit this trait because I do use that safety.

himurax13 is right.

I have fit a number of shadow safeties on 75b and sp01s.

The factory has to fit the left side safety and some occasionally end up loose.

If you order a new set it should take care of your problem. The left side is fitted into the right side d hole, you could just try ordering the left.