Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun untested sights in match

So how crazy is this? I've been sitting a Glock 34 for a few matches, but just got a modded CZ 85C this week. I tested it out with a box of ammo and it worked fine but the rear sight was cranked was up. The f.o. front sight was too big and I had a correct height Dawson so I put that on last night. Now I'm thinking is crazy to use this new set up in a match but I'm dying to shoot this guy. Is it nuts?

I shot my open gun in the first match this season with it shooting about 8 inches left and 4 inches high at 10 yards....came in second place. It's basically just using "Kentucky windage" very quickly!

I used to this sort of thing all of the time. I just install the sights and even them up as best as possible. Then I would draw and punch out and see how close the sights are and adjust accordingly. I get amazingly close, lol.

Edited by himurax13

what happened... share so others can learn

[emoji27] It was an Idpa match, with a stage that required holding a briefcase in the weak hand. There were some targets down range of some stacked barrels. The case was awkward. I was shooting around the left side first. I put my right shoulder toward the barrels and after shooting lowered the gun to the ground and turned left and was called on the 180. I realize that I had planned to gave the barrel and lean left, but for some reason I didn't want the case between me and barrels.

Its not about DQ per se. Its how one got DQed. First the OP shot his unzeroed gun in a match. Next he got DQed in a rather uncomplicated cof. If one has healthy respect for this sport its paramount to qualify himself on the minimum level of skills and equipment required. This is a dangerous game. Not child play. Insisting on doing his thing inspite of... does show very low regard for this sport. Even if done just for fun. If one loves this game then by all means respect it. Newbie or not. Pls, no offense intended. I just cannot absolve it for "stupidity".

Hey, guys, I think he knows he screwed up at this point. Yes, it looks bad. Lighten up.

Learning moment. Bet he never does that again?

Pretend there is a big bungie cord on the muzzle of your gun, always pulling it down range. You cannot do a spin with a bungie cord on your gun.

Here I was thinking this was the beginner forum! Yeah clearly this was a learning experience. Some stages lend themselves to a 180 and I focus on that in my mental prep. It never even crossed my mind this time. I just recall getting into an awkward position with my shoulder to the barrels then lowering the gun to turn to the other side of the cover, then realizing what I did. I still have to think that's stupid.

Edited by f2benny

Here I was thinking this was the beginner forum! Yeah clearly this was a learning experience. Some stages lend themselves to a 180 and I focus on that in my mental prep. It never even crossed my mind this time. I just recall getting into an awkward position with my shoulder to the barrels then lowering the gun to turn to the other side of the cover, then realizing what I did. I still have to think that's stupid.

Im sorry if I disappoint you with your expectation here as a newbie. What happened can only be learned. As you stated in the beginning of your thread, its a crazy idea. But if I were your buddy, knowing your intention to shoot a match, I would have helped you with zeroing your gun. I would help you with some informal info and training to learn the safe techniques until I was confident in your skill level and safety habits. I would be with you at the match proper and walk you thru each of the cofs. I would advise the RO/SO that its your first match and to assist you more than anybody to ensure you finish every stage safely. I noticed in your video that the SO was so far from you to assist if needed. Whenever I RO a newbie I stay close to him enough to physically prevent him to break 180 or sweeping himself. Im most concerned with the shooter accidentally shooting himself or anybody in the range. Again, its not just the DQ.

Thanks. It was the second match I've shot in idpa, so I'm definitely in it to learn. I don't think the gun was a factor, it was zeroed in before the match and is an easy shooter. I'm a fair shot, but have to get used the setting.

I gotta say, that was a "textbook" 180! I also have to give respect to the RO who caught it quickly. It shows he was watching the gun. Despite the varying degrees of how hardcore some of us think it is, there are always going to be 180's in our sport and I would bet that he learns from this and won't do it again.

I gotta say, that was a "textbook" 180! I also have to give respect to the RO who caught it quickly. It shows he was watching the gun. Despite the varying degrees of how hardcore some of us think it is, there are always going to be 180's in our sport and I would bet that he learns from this and won't do it again.

Im sorry to disagree.

If the SO was aware and positioned near the shooter, the shooter couldnt have turned 360 with his loaded gun.

Hardcore? Imho Safety in our sport is strictly black n white, theres no varying degrees in between. So a 181 is less unsafe than a 190 and we should react accordingly? I cant buy that.

Edited by BoyGlock

He did not go 181 or 190, he spun 360. Not sure what we are arguing. He was DQ'ed for safety, like he should have been. There was no gray area.

Could/Should the SO have caught it before he spun all the way around.... yes. But it happens so quick on the clock.

As far an SO or RO being there close enough to physically stop a shooter from breaking the 180..... I can see that going badly, the physically grabbing of a guy with a gun in his hand (maybe even with his finger on the trigger) during the course of fire. I think the correct action is a very very loud "STOP!"

No one is saying the shooter should not have been DQ'ed. And not everyone is fortunate enough to have a buddy willing to help. These forums can do a lot to impart some of that knowledge.