Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB Powder Check

Does anyone have a method to check cases for powder prior to bullet seating.....I just started using this press and on light loads with little powder charge (38 special for example) I can't see inside the case no matter what angle I take or how much light I shine. I am without question paranoid after my first ever squib after changing from a single stage press to SDB and prefer looking at each case. Thanks!

I believe the OP is concerned that he gets a powder drop, not if it varies in weight. If the powder bar sticks or something obstructs the powder from dropping, there is no way for him to view the case before finishing the bullet. This can lead to a squib. I don't use the SDB, but it would seem to me that a mirror with some LED lights to illuminate the area would work. Try this.http://inlinefabrication.com/products/led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-square-deal

Can you tell me a little more about the inline light? I have tried every angle possible and with every type of mirror from dental mirror instruments to concave mirrors to multiple mirrors and just can't get an angle that works without affecting the operation of the press. I am thinking about a small bright led straight through the top of the seating die but the hole is very small diameter and not sure how bright the resulting light will appear.

Mine Inline is mounted on the frame between station 2 & 3, aimed down toward station 2 & 3. After I used it once I ordered another for my second SDB. I lit it up an moved it around til I found the spot that worked best for me. I'm left handed and sit a little to the left.

PJ

I have a the standard flourescent two by 4 foot shop light on the vertical wall above the presses. It lets in enough light to see the powder charge. My buddy has a cheap $2 LED flashlight from Pep Boys mounted on a twisted coat hanger wire that works just as well.

image36979.jpg

I was actually considering video as well after I stumbled across an ad in Craigslist for a ryobi es5000 inspection camera for $60 and some very inexpensive pinhole cameras on amazon. I addition to good inline lighting, I think this is worthy of some additional research.... just not sure if I can pull it off on an SDB press due to the small frame. Thanks for the link as this is giving me a lot of other ideas to consider.

there's a plug and play solution for this that is a little more exxy but seems like quite a deceent setup. has 2 cameras's and one screen so you can have one on powder check duty 90% of the time and use the other to check case feed or bullet feed or something...

http://ipscalex.com/collections/tools-and-maintenance/products/ammo-vision-reloading-accessory