Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first 25 in skeet today.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: After playing around at skeet on and off for 2 years and two different states(New Mexico, Georgia) and a bunch of different guns. I finally shot my first 25 straight today. I was using my light 12 gauge 3/4oz loads with my Beretta DT-10. I just had an adjustable comb installed and I just guessed at the placement of the comb. It was my 2nd time shooting it since the work was done. The guys said I didn't even seem nervous at all and then one said he is a USPSA shooter and knows how to keep calm. My hat took a beating from 4 guys I was shooting with. Looking forward to the 50 straight next. Back to my beer now. Thanks, Eric

Congrats - I was actually more nervous on my 24th, I'd been having problems with station 8 for a while and finally got over the hump. It's a great feeling, makes you want to do it again real soon.

With 3/4 oz loads you were essentially shooting a 28 gauge. When done out of a 12 gauge barrel, it does not pattern as well. Consider celebrating your accomplishment by getting a tube set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello: I appreciate all the praise for my 25 straight. Next I will be trying to get 25 straight with my 28 gauge gun next. Came close quite a few times with it, lots of 24's. The 3/4oz 12 gauge loads actually pattern very well with #9 shot and the correct load. I have two guns with tubes and I like the dedicated guns better. For me I think a barrel set would work better and see that grand coming back here for skeet and sporting. Shorter barrels are also coming back here from 32"-34" back to 30". Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I shot 410 today and shot 2-23's. I am using my 28 gauge gun with Chamber Mate inserts for 410. I had to choke to IC to get a good pattern but they crushed the targets. I may have to start reloading 410 or I may just keep shooting the 28 gauge. I am loving the 28 gauge! Thanks, Eric

Hello: I did pattern the Chamber Mates. Keep in mind these are for a 28 gauge down to 410. I did have to tighten up to IC/LM specs to get a nice pattern. They were crushing the targets and dusting some close ones. I have heard the 12 gauge to 410 don't work that well if they have the short tube instead of the later longer barrel extension. I don't have those but have some 20 gauge to 410 which have the barrel extension but I have not shot them yet. Thanks, Eric

nicely done! Did you just take your last option from station 8? I always told myself for my first shot at a 25, I'd go 7-low but when the time came, I just took two at 8 low. Only had 2 guys with me so my hat didn't get blown apart too bad. And they let me take it of my head first too!

When I shot skeet, one of our members bought a Krieghoff with the tubes for all four gauges. First time out, she broke 25 with the 12, 25 with the 20, 25 with the 28, and only 24 with the 410. I was impressed. I broke 25 a couple of times with my Remington 1100.

When I shot skeet, one of our members bought a Krieghoff with the tubes for all four gauges. First time out, she broke 25 with the 12, 25 with the 20, 25 with the 28, and only 24 with the 410. I was impressed. I broke 25 a couple of times with my Remington 1100.

Krieghoffs are nice guns. I shot a model 32 for quite a while but couldn't keep the trigger working right. Damn thing would double all the time. Really blew the hell out of those targets when it did that! :surprise:

Hello: I have been shooting a bunch of 22-24's but I have also been shooting different gauges to see what I like. Still liking the 28 gauge but the 410 is catching my eye. Not sure if I want to go down that road of reloading 410 or buying a separate 410 gun. Shooting lighter loads really does help when shooting skeet. I shoot 3/4oz in 12,20 and 28 gauge. I just use different shot size if shooting trap #7 1/2 at the 16 yd. I do have a Model 32 but I just shoot the lighter Beretta's better. I may have to sell the Krieghoff to get another Beretta. Thanks, Eric

For a true round of skeet it's not really an option. It's the first miss or the low 8. As for the heavy/light gun it depends on how you shoot. The guys doing more swing through or pull ahead especially if swinging with the arms tend to like the lighter guns as they can move them easier. I shot a heavy gun but I was a total lower body shooter do my upper body was locked solid and didn't move so a heavy gun with sustained lead worked great. Still got the hat for my first 25 ever. Came close several times but never did get the hat shot for the big one