Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZs in IDPA?

BillR1

I just saw the new issue of the IDPA "magazine" and they listed the equipment survey for the Indoor Nationals. Only 3 shooters were using CZs, with a large number using M&Ps and Glocks.

Is there something that makes the CZ less than ideal for IDPA? I know that plastic guns transition faster for many people, but USPSA has lots of transitions also and CZs are pretty popular there. (right?)

Edit: I shot in the AZ IDPA state match a few weeks ago, and the guy at the chrono station said he'd seen only one other CZ besides mine. Strange...

Edited by BillR1

Search for What IDPA did to CZ shooters not too long ago and you will see why

A hint.... 3 days before a Mayor Match IDPA ruled out the CZ Accu Shadow as non legal

Mj

Search for What IDPA did to CZ shooters not too long ago and you will see why

A hint.... 3 days before a Mayor Match IDPA ruled out the CZ Accu Shadow as non legal

Mj

I remember that incident, but I still don't understand why the CZ shooter numbers are so low. Did all of the CZ shooters leave IDPA, or did they swap platforms? And why are the "new" people not seeing the advantages of a well-built, accurate gun?

Most probably left. I know a few friends that shot IDPA aren't shooting it anymore as the started shooting USPSA. They've done 2-3 matches and don't see going back to IDPA.

Is there anything about IDPA that makes plastic guns better suited for that game? I sure can't think of anything, other than maybe shot distance. IDPA has a 35 yard maximum, and shoots over 20 yards are really rare.

One of the reasons I went with the SP-01 is because I felt it was the best platform for both USPSA and IDPA. I can't think of a reason I would want to shoot a Glock or M&P in IDPA over a CZ. I think it may have more to do with the people who shoot IDPA than the gun itself.

The thing with IDPA is it has a reputation of getting into it cheap. A $500 dollor Glock with 3 mags. And. $90 IDPA holster mag combo and your good to go. I think it is ecomomics than anything else. They learn to shoot the polymer gun well and stick with it

I don't think it is because CZ aren't popular but that Glocks and M&Ps are so much more popular. You can't go into a gun store without seeing not one but an array of guns from one of these makers. CZs tends to be overshadowed by them. And availability of CZs can be hit and miss.

You and I probably shot the same Saturday match at PRGC . I was the one shooting a P07.

which CZ's are Production IDPA Legal?

I have three Shadows. Two are 75 Shadows and the other is an SP01. All of them are SSP and ESP legal.

I thought the SP-01 'bushing' model was NOT approved?

Anything from CZ (and not CZC, which is a different company) is legal as long as it meets all the size and weight requirements, to my knowledge.

Cost... no. Many people spend far more than the cost of any CZ on ESP and CDP guns.

The real answer is that consciously or not, many/most people gravitate toward what the current champ is shooting.

In IDPA, the greatest champ shoots a Glock, and the biggest sponsor makes the M&P. Therefore that is what people want to shoot. No IDPA exclusive shooters think you can win with a DA/SA.

USPSA production has been dominated by DA/SA metal guns for a few years now, and therefore they are much more popular in that sport now. Glocks and other plastic are losing ground and considered a stop gap till you can afford a "real gun". That wasn't the case when the top guys in that division were shooting Glocks.

Just the way it goes.

Edited by ny32182

I don't think it is because CZ aren't popular but that Glocks and M&Ps are so much more popular. You can't go into a gun store without seeing not one but an array of guns from one of these makers. CZs tends to be overshadowed by them. And availability of CZs can be hit and miss.

You and I probably shot the same Saturday match at PRGC . I was the one shooting a P07.

I was there! :cheers:

I used to shoot with a CZ 75 Shadow from CZC. IDPA changed another rule making that illegal. With the rule change, my magazine release was too long while before, it was not. My pistol is just fine for USPSA Production, Limited (Minor), L10 (Minor), and even Open.

Edited by Samuel Adams

The 75 Shadow from CZ/ CZC is production legal. The Illegal CZC is the Accu Shadow. It has a Modied exterior machined bushing. That is the one banned. They increased the weight in IDPA so the shadows with the short dust cover make weight. Mine have the springer precision extrnded base pads and fit the box just fine. And yes in my club I shoot the only CZ

Most SP-01s were not legal until the Oct 2013 rule book came out, and the SSP weight limit was increased from 39 to 43oz. You had to modify them to make weight.

Edited by ES13Raven

I shot a CZ at last year's Indoor Nationals. And last year's Nationals and this year's coming Worlds. I think most CZ's are not sold or thought of by the general public as a "carry gun", so the low turn out for them in IDPA. Whether that is truly the case about the pistols or not.....

Turn around and look at this year's USPSA Production Nationals and the title sponsor is CZ. IDPA as an org is too in love with SW, Wilson and Glock. No reason for them to court CZ and their shooters.

And as others have said, a person new into competition gets turned off learning a DA/SA gun, gets turned off buying a $1,500 CZ built up for the games versus a $800 Glock with all the goodies thrown in, and they can possibly do it on their own, and order parts anywhere.

I think you have to a a certain type of "competitor" to want to shoot the CZ and if so you're probably more likely to shoot the other game. But hey, just my thoughts....

i was reading that as well , by the way , I was second in caption contest on last page (just sayin...lol)

I have CZC CZ 75 SP01 Shadow Target that I shoot in ESP and my son shoots in production in USPSA (I shoot CZ 75TS in 40 s&w inL10)

Just got Xcalibur from Grand power and waiting on some kind of response from IDPA if it's legal for ESP.