Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 38 Super issues

scout308

Hi,

After getting a second hand 627 38 Super a couple of weeks back that had apparently done nearly no work i tried reloading some 38 super for it. I already own a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite 38 Super so i attempted reloading the brass used in that. I came to the conclusion that the 38 Super brass was bulged at the bottom so went ahead and ordered a Lee Bulge Buster Kit. So the Bulge Buster turned up on my doorstep today and i broke the carbide within 5 minutes of trying to use it! Out of curiosity I dropped 8 factory loaded 9mm rounds into the cylinder with no moon clips to see if it was maybe a cylinder issue. One is particularly stiff and impossible to let a factory 9mm drop in? All the others dropped in differently there was no uniformimty among the 8 on the cylinder. I tried polishing with a 40 cal bore mop on a drill with mothers polish on it but didn't make a difference. Has anyone got any ideas on what the hells going on? Im pulling my hair out with this thing now!

These are factory 9mm rounds

20150522_145009_zpsh4u8dhxs.jpg

20150522_144951_zps9liqda8l.jpg

Mine are all slightly different too, when dropping a projectile through some are tighter than others.

I was warned that I would need new brass but so far I am having luck with rounds fired out of my Trojan.

Doesn't make sense that even factory 9mm won't chamber! This things driving me nuts. I still haven't fired a shot through it

Yeah my 9mm snap caps drop into every cylinder like yours that are below flush.

Are the wilsons gunsmiths too? I'd see about returning it or finding out if they can help.

Did the gun look like it had shot many rounds?

Does the extractor overlap any cylinders looking through from the other side?

Edited by dansedgli

Mines just got oil on it from cleaning it after running mothers polish in the cylinders. I just tried this and now think its the extractor star.

Depressed extractor and dropped a 38 super into the cylinder hole that is tight and bingo it drops straight in. Take it out and drop in with the extractor in place tight to the point it won't drop in cylinder again. WTF is going on here!!!!

20150522_174755_zps6oca0neo.jpg

Spend $50 bucks and send cylinder and star to TK Custom to have reamed and polished to specs. That cures a lot of the problems with ammo. If you still have problems after that you need to start looking at your ammo.

As you are outside the US and it is a "used" revo, it just might behoove you to get a 38 super reamer and do the one cylinder by hand. If that cures the problem, and it may, you would be in good shape. Not to mention that you would be "everybody's good friend" that may need the same. All my cylinders will take new factory 9 mm. But once they are fired in an auto I have never been able to resize enough to fit in the 38 supe cylinder. Good luck. rdd

I run 9mm in my 38 super. I had it cut for 9mm. Its about .002 bigger than super. You can use a 38 super sizing die or you can try a 9mm u die from lee. I use it on all my 9mm loads. You can also polish the cylinder with a honing stone from Brownells. I personally use valve lapping compound to finish the honing.

As you seem to have established its the extractor, can you post a pic of the cylinder empty highlighting the chamber that's sticking?

I'd say stone the extractor before you go to crazy with anything else.

Yeah, I mean, the cylinder, while not impossible to replace, is at the very least extremely difficult to source a new one. Extractors are not all that easy either but much easier than a 38 super cylinder.

Hi from a fellow Aussie wheelgunner :) From the photo (as a side observation), it looks like the ratchet teeth on the extractor have slight burrs on the edges. That's pretty normal for a factory S&W (my guns had it from new), but what it tells me is that if they are leaving burrs on the critical ratchet, they are probably also leaving them on the extractor itself. Those burrs may well be what are causing binding on some chambers.

As was pointed out by someone else, unscrew the ejector rod and remove the extractor, then lightly stone away any burrs you find. Go slowly back and forth using a try-and-see approach. I'd use a stone or file by hand, rather than anything motorised.

As an owner of 2 new Smith & Wessons, you shouldn't have to do any of this... but you do :(

Sorted! It was the brass after all. I got some brand new 38 Super brass at the SHOT show and bingo! Drops in smooth as butter. What a f#@%k around! Even after full length sizing in a dillon 38 Super size!