Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin stuck

So I picked up this Stock II today.

When I racked the slide, the firing pin stop just fell out of the gun.

I look closer and realize that the firing pin is basically stuck in the forward position.

I tried nudging it back, but it seems pretty stuck.

I don't want to do anything that might damage it, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on what's going on.

stuck_pin_4.jpg

stuck_pin_1.jpg

stuck_pin_2.jpg

stuck_pin_3.jpg
Edited by tbarker13

Wild guess, but try manipulating the firing pin safety up/down and rotate while turning the firing pin and gently pulling it w needle nose pliers.

It might have driven past the stop on the pin.

Wild guess, but try manipulating the firing pin safety up/down and rotate while turning the firing pin and gently pulling it w needle nose pliers.

It might have driven past the stop on the pin.

That worked. Still not quite sure what caused the binding. I did notice that one end of the spring looked a little irregular - either cut or broken.

The more I look at it the more I see monkeyed with. The extractor has the finish polished off of it, and obviously the rear sight has been ground down. I'm scared of what you might find done to the trigger bar and hammer.

The good news is all of that can be replaced.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts the previous owner clipped coils from the firing pin return spring in an attempt to get more reliable ignition with a light hammer spring and went a coil or two too far. What happens is this: when live firing the primer limits the forward movement of the firing pin, but the spring going fully compressed limits the forward movement when there's no case in the chamber. If too many coils are missing the spring doesn't go solid before the firing pin gets wedged in the hole in the breech face. If you look at the pin, the tip stays the same diameter for a bit of the length, then gets wider as you go back, that's the part that gets stuck.

Here's what I did to get the pin in stuck when this used to happen to me: lock the slide back, insert an empty case in the chamber, release the slide with my left hand covering the back of the slide to catch the pin when it shoots out.

Eric Grauffel sells a reduced powder firing pin return spring for Tanfoglio which solves this problem. Cajun Gun Works makes one for CZ, but it's not the same number of coils, so it's not compatible with Tanfolio.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The more I look at it the more I see monkeyed with. The extractor has the finish polished off of it, and obviously the rear sight has been ground down. I'm scared of what you might find done to the trigger bar and hammer.

The good news is all of that can be replaced.

That is a funny looking rear sight, I have new ones for $60 shipped if you need. The firing pin stop does look like it's been drilled out, probably to combat it falling out. I might have some spares as well, let me know what you need.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Sorry. Forgot to mention. The firing pin stop was actually out of the gun at this point. It had fallen out when I racked the slide. Since the firing pin was stuck forward, there was nothing holding the stop in place.

As for the sights, I actually like this style. I had similar sights on my old limited guns.

What's realy fun is when that happens during a match, it sticks forward after one stage and the stop falls out at make ready on the next but you don't notice that till you drop the slide and the firing pin shoots out over your shoulder. And good times

While waiting, post pics of the firing pin and safety. Curious to see how it messed up. Gross shade tree grinding, wear, ?

Like Atlas said earlier the pins taper and if too many coils are cut on the return spring the tapered section gets stuck in the hole in the breach face.

While waiting, post pics of the firing pin and safety. Curious to see how it messed up. Gross shade tree grinding, wear, ?

Like Atlas said earlier the pins taper and if too many coils are cut on the return spring the tapered section gets stuck in the hole in the breach face.

That's why I'm hoping an uncut firing pin return spring will solve it.

Roger that.

I'm guessing the Sear is out of timing and block is getting jammed on the firing pin.

Also drive your ejector pin in further before you have another issue.

I had the exact same issue last week. It was due to binding on the FPB which I removed (it's a range gun, not used in either competition or for defense). That said, is the FPB really necessary?

The henning pin. Not the latest but what he sold 5-6 months ago. I swapped back the factory pin and the back piece from a .22 slide (ordered replacement from lra).

The henning pin has a pronounced wear on the corner that the pin safety contacts. But the pin safety doesn't show much if any wear. I think (always dangerous) that the pin edge wore and slides past the safety a bit and wedges.