Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mandatory reload/SHO in Speed Shoot

Norther

Is there ever a situation where you can require 8 rounds strong hand only? Envision a 16 round speed shoot with two arrays. Shoot the first, mandatory reload, shoot the second strong hand only.

1.1.5 prohibits mandatory reloads at all, by not mentioning speed shoots in the list of exceptions, unless it's a Level I match.

1.1.5.4 does not apply because it's not a medium or long course.

1.2.2.3 specifically allows mandatory reloads and also stipulating SHO (or WHO) after the reload.

Edited by six-gun shooter

You hit it on the head...you can do it in a Speed Shoot. It specifies that no more than one mandatory reload is required and 16 rounds is the max therefore you could shoot 8, reload, shoot 8 SHO or WHO (this has to be after the reload).

You like to mess with the revo shooters don't you?

That requires 6, reload, shoot 2, reload, shoot 6, reload and than shoot 2.

It isn't completely clear, but 1.1.5.4 stipulates no more than 6 shots strong or weak hand only. This applies to medium courses. The round count of your speed shoot would make it a medium course if it had another view or position.

No, it's not a medium course, so 1.1.5.4 doesn't apply. Medium courses require more than one location or view, and speed shoots can only have one location or view.

Hmm, there is some overlap, isn't there? like with a Bianchi barricade. One location, two views. But let's say for this stage there is one location AND one view.

So it is possible.

I shot a stage like this recently, and my gut reaction was it wasn't legal. But, I had a hard time backing it up with the rule book.

The paper array had a swinger activated by pushing a popper over by hand before entering the shooting box, and the steel array was 8 mini-poppers. It did mess with the lone revo guy with his S&W 610, but I unfortunately didn't clean the steel array strong hand in single stack without an extra reload myself.

I chose to shoot the paper first both because of the angle you had to enter the shooting box and because of the no-shoot guarding the swinger.