Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 627 Tracker 357

deerassassin22

What was your second choice? Never mind. Whatever it is, it will probably be better.

Pick an 8 shot for USPSA.

Pick a 6 shot for IDPA. Pick one that works with comp 3 speedloaders if you want to go that way.

Leave 7 shot guns alone for both.

Ported barrels are illegal in both games.

Edited by afoulk

If you want one gun, lean heavily to the USPSA side of the house and want to be competitive at local through area matches, consider an 8 shot. 608 if you like taurus, 627 if you like smith. 608 will need ports closed up to play in Revolver division, so I wouldn't mess with it.

You can run an 8 shot gun in NFC in IDPA, if you have a willing match director. I don't think any reasonable match director would not let you play with a 4" pro series 627 in a kydex holster with a North Mountain IDPA legal moon clip holder.

If you lean heavily to the IDPA side of things, a 4" 686 with speedloaders or 4" 625 with moonclips would both play well in revolver division. The 625 would be better for moving over to USPSA, but will be nowhere near as good for 99% of matches as the 8 shot gun.

If you do choose a 6 shot 686 and want to use it for both, consider having it cut for moonclips for USPSA. Picking up loose brass is a pain.

The answer to the "which gun" question was so much easier two years ago....

...The 625 would be better for moving over to USPSA, but will be nowhere near as good for 99% of matches as the 8 shot gun.

Bullshit. I finish 3% better in the overall with an 8 shot minor gun vs. My 625 loaded to major. Are you losing by 3%?

3% equals nowhere near as good? In our rather sparsely populated division, I can count on 1 hand the number of times that would have changed my finish position. I don't even need all 5 fingers.

Your 3% in overall (assuming you mean all divisions combined) will translate to more like 5% within your own division. The overall vs division scores were skewed that much for revo division at the most recent VA/MD section match as an example. Giving up 5% in a close class race is HUGE. So, yes. Your 3% equals nowhere near as good.

Now, if one were to take away the drive to actually win something in USPSA at the below nationals level, the 625 would be a great gun for both IDPA and USPSA.

As far as IDPA goes, I watched something interesting happen at the 2015 FL IDPA State Championship. Two shooters (both of whom I shoot with frequently and count as friends) shot Revolver Division. One used a moonclip gun at 150 PF. The other used a six shot speedloader gun at about 115 PF.

Both of these guys are close friends, travel to matches together, and are two of the best revo shooters in Florida. But, candidly, the one shooting the speedloader gun is the better overall shooter. But, his buddy with the moonclip gun beat him for Div Champ by somewhere over 15 seconds. They both attribute that to the quicker and more positive reloads of the moonclip gun.

There has been some debate as to which gun -- speedloader at 105 PF, or moonclip at 150 PF would ultimately dominate the IDPA revo division. This shed some light on that for me.

As far as IDPA goes, I watched something interesting happen at the 2015 FL IDPA State Championship. Two shooters (both of whom I shoot with frequently and count as friends) shot Revolver Division. One used a moonclip gun at 150 PF. The other used a six shot speedloader gun at about 115 PF.

Both of these guys are close friends, travel to matches together, and are two of the best revo shooters in Florida. But, candidly, the one shooting the speedloader gun is the better overall shooter. But, his buddy with the moonclip gun beat him for Div Champ by somewhere over 15 seconds. They both attribute that to the quicker and more positive reloads of the moonclip gun.

There has been some debate as to which gun -- speedloader at 105 PF, or moonclip at 150 PF would ultimately dominate the IDPA revo division. This shed some light on that for me.

That is very interesting. It was my intuiting that with the lower 155PF (old was 165PF) that the moonclip guns (S&W 625 specifically) would dominate the division. Its been tough to get any data since most of the results I have seen don't track the SSR vs ESR subdivisions.

If I could only afford to buy one revolver for both sports the S&W 625 4-inch would be IMHO the best compromise choice. Not to mention the 625 is probably the most fun!

Edited by mcb