Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What does a Burwell Competition Trigger job feel like?

Nemesis Lead

Can you describe (travel distance, weight, stacking, etc.) the pre-travel, break, overtravel and reset of the Burwell Competition Trigger?

I have an M & P Pro and I am not sure if I will set it up for USPSA Production or Limited (3 gun), so any education on the different options would be much obliged. I have been to Dan's website and have done a search on the forums, but really want to understand how Dan's work is different from the stock trigger or the Apex triggers I can drop in.

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by Nemesis Lead

I think the best way to describe the difference between an apex trigger and Dans is the apex is 75% of dans trigger. Dan fits the striker and sear ingagment to give it a crisp break. Dan is local to me so I've seen many of his triggers and his reputation is deserved,they are good. As for the feel he can adjust it however you want

A lot of top smiths have said that a true trigger job will always be better than a drop in or a kit. That being said I've never compared a Burwell trigger to the Apex forward set stuff.

On the other hand, I have heard people who have two apex triggers, one installed by apex and one installed by themself, the Apex installed trigger was/is better.

A lot of top smiths have said that a true trigger job will always be better than a drop in or a kit. That being said I've never compared a Burwell trigger to the Apex forward set stuff.

On the other hand, I have heard people who have two apex triggers, one installed by apex and one installed by themself, the Apex installed trigger was/is better.

I think this is just about an absolute. I really like the Apex kits and have several of them. If you do nothing else and drop them in, they will be good but can be made better. For example, on one of them, I had to file the trigger tab so it disengaged at the right time and not rub. Would it work without doing this? Sure. Will it be the best it can be? No. It's the same with my JP triggers on my ARs - the JP triggers installed by them are much better than the drop-in kits they sell.

So you can have a great trigger that is drop in if you put in a little extra work to make sure it is the best it can be.

I pulled out an apex kit to have Dan's full competition kit with the pre travel dramatically reduced and his over travel stop welded in. The apex was nice, but I guess I would describe it as crunchy compared to the Burwell trigger. The Burwell job uses all stock springs. His trigger is best described as a plastic 1911. I think Ryan's assessment was spot on. A friend is coming to my place tonight with a 5" pro with an apex kit, I will compair them again as it has been a while. The only downside to Burwell's trigger is he makes some small changes the angles on the striker face, so my other strikers are not a drop in if I break one. I have been meaning to fit a backup. If I set up another M&P I would send it to Dan, but I am a trigger snob.

I pulled out an apex kit to have Dan's full competition kit with the pre travel dramatically reduced and his over travel stop welded in. The apex was nice, but I guess I would describe it as crunchy compared to the Burwell trigger. The Burwell job uses all stock springs. His trigger is best described as a plastic 1911. I think Ryan's assessment was spot on. A friend is coming to my place tonight with a 5" pro with an apex kit, I will compair them again as it has been a while. The only downside to Burwell's trigger is he makes some small changes the angles on the striker face, so my other strikers are not a drop in if I break one. I have been meaning to fit a backup. If I set up another M&P I would send it to Dan, but I am a trigger snob.

Do you know the weight? And the striker spring weight? Are you only using federal primers?

Just curious

I checked it a few weeks ago. It is 2.75# with a Lyman digital trigger pull scale, pulling from the center of the trigger. All stock springs are back in the gun. I use cci primers. It is what I can get cheap. I try to keep my striker channel clean, and keep oil out of it. The only problem I have is if I have a high primer. It will not set off cci nato primers ( grabbed a pack by accident), but neither will my para p18.

Interesting topic. I have the Apex triggers in all 4 of my M&P's and have always been pleased with them but after reading this thread and looking at his website I very well may drop one out and send it to him for one of his complete competition triggers. Thanks for posting this.

How do you get on Dan's schedule? I've sent him several emails and only received the auto-reply. I've sent him pm's on this site but no replies. Do you just complete the work order and send him the gun without scheduling an appointment? I've been trying periodically for over a year.

Tigereye--I used his website to send a message, waited a week, and followed up with a Brian Enos PM yesterday. No response. I don't think just sending him the gun is how he wants to do it. He may just be very busy.

How do you get on Dan's schedule? I've sent him several emails and only received the auto-reply. I've sent him pm's on this site but no replies. Do you just complete the work order and send him the gun without scheduling an appointment? I've been trying periodically for over a year.

This comes up every few months and it's hard to find or reach him. I know he stays busy but this is one of those things you will have to deal with.

I shot a friends new pro the other night, it seemed very accurate. Probably more accurate than my old pro with a Kkm barrel. It had a one dot barrel in it. I was standing there thinking if this had Dan's trigger in it I wonder what I could do! Trying to resist the urge to grab another.

I got a new 9 pro a couple weeks ago. I havent fired it yet, just dry. Its a one dot barrel as well. The trigger is OK, but I feel like it needs to be "broken-in." I wonder if Dan's work has a better effect on a gun that has been broken in first, or if it matters?

My XD's dont have trigger jobs but they have been fired (live and dry) a lot! Now they feel better than my new 9 pro. Makes me wonder how good the XD feels with a trigger job?