Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Strategy/Plan Mooching vs Independence

CHA-LEE

Just like racing anything against others, you need to pick your place and time to attempt a risky "Pass" or suffer the consequences.

Eloquently stated. I agree 100%. Luckily a risky stage plan doesn't result in as many compound fractures as a risky pass on a motorcycle.

I come up with my own base plan, but sometimes mooch small segments I notice others doing during the walk through. Oddly enough, I gaffle more stage tidbits from Production shooters than from my fellow Limited shooters.

Edited by Kool Aid

I think I am like most people. Start with my plan in my head and keep going through that. Every once in a while, I'll see another shooter do something that is significantly better, altering my approach.

That being said, I would say that frequently when I do change to that better approach, I screw it up :) While I might have been a few seconds slower with my original approach, I probably would not have messed up had I not changed.

• 2 weeks later...

I do both occasionally, but I usually see something pretty quickly on the first walkthrough and stick with it, even if its not the "best". Its the one I will remember.

More or less its figure out all the places I need to go shoot all the targets, figure out which way flows best for me to get to all those places, then target engagement at each position, then try and burn it in.

I definitely suffer from evaluating more than 1 plan and then train wrecking becuase no matter how many times I visualize my plan, the first and second plan come together when its time to shoot and the result is not satisfying.

I do my own planing...paying attention to all others...if I see something different, no matter if it's a GM or a D shooter, I will entertain it and take a look...usually, I stay with my plan. It is a learning experience and you should always keep an open mind. Sometimes you are focused on your plan, you tend to plan things the same way all the time, you will tend to overlook other viable option.

I'll come up with my own stage plan and stick with it unless i see somebody on a walk thru or a run do something that i completely missed. I'll only consider it if it is a major time saver or saves a mag change at a crucial point and i have enough time to go over it in my head and be sure. Last minute changes don't seem to work out for me most of the time. Learned that the hard way lol.

Anybody can ask me why or how i plan to shoot a stage. Usually i have no issue with it and i'm more than happy to explain why but when it becomes the norm from a seasoned shooter to always ask others how they plan to shoot a stage, it does become irksome. Part of the fun for me is figuring out the best way to shoot a stage on your own, not simply copy what everybody else does. Sometimes what everybody else does is simply the best way to run it anyway.