Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

# of Mags required to shoot (and practice) IPSC?

cledford

I'm buying mags to get my G35 up and running for IPSC limited and IDPA. The IPSC mags will have the extensions added where the second set will be left stock hi-cap (re-legal here in VA) for that game.

I'm wonder the best number of specific mags for each I should get. I'll also add on a few extras for spares and practice.

Thanks for the advice.

Calvin

Normally, in open, i carry 3 on the belt plus one for the gun. I have the option of adding a double mag pouch, for a total of 5 plus one. You ask y? If im shooting a standard exercise i want to start each string of fire with a full mag, even if there are only 8-10 shots in the string. I have (5) 20rd mags, (1) 23rd mag, and (2) 'big stick' mags 27rds and 29rds.

I shoot in Production in USPSA and I have 10 mags. With only 10 rounds in each mag I still can't get through most shoots without reloading mags. You won't be happy with 3 mags and in one stage today there were 32 rounds fired as a minimum. I had 5 mags on me total and didn't feel over loaded. Again I am not loading 32 rounders since I can only shoot 10 rounds. I also use hi cap mags even though I am restricted to 10 rounds. I'm not familiar with all of the limited rules, but guys next to me today shooting the STI framed guns had 20 round mags and didn't need as many mags as I did. So what is the largest mag capacity that will fit in a G35 and still meet the 140mm rule?

I never have less than 4 mags on me. Reasoning...if you really need three in a field course and you happen to drop one on the run???????? You still have three :P . Or you happen to have a stage with two Texas Stars in it. That would take me at least 60 or so. :huh: TXAG

I have a total of twelve magazines for my G35, four have Dawson +5 extensions. Not enough, but I haven't run across any really hot deals on Glock mags lately.

For a typical match, I usually keep two 20-round magazines on me, plus one in the gun.

- Chris

Normally you only need enough mags to get through a stag , plus a spare or two.

Normally 2 high caps and 3–5 10 rounders. (With extensions for limited or open if needed)

Some stages can require a reload from each position, depending on how your club is set up.

I seen indoor matches with 4-6 rds per position X 8 positions. w/req mag chg.

ie right, left, up, down, over, under, then move forward. Mags can play an important part in stages like this. :wub:

I believe most of us have acquired 20 plus mags over time for each gun.

Another good reason to have extra mags is SAND and part failures.

The longer we shoot the more we learn. Never run out of ammo in a stage. :ph34r: