Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 3GN Eastern Regional Venue Change.

Just got an email a little while ago from Tennille Chidester.

The Eastern Regional venue has switched from Beckley, WV to the Peacemaker Range in Glengary, WV. August 1-2.

Got the email too. Looking at possible travel changes if I can still make it. 17 hrs drive time one way makes it rough, and virtually eliminates registration and checking out stages on Friday.

Sounds like the range pushed hard to get a match there, but should have done a little homework first.

Thankfully the lead time is long enough that people can adjust their travel, however a 17hr drive would cause me to bail out. Have you considered flying instead?

Flying would nearly triple my costs at this point. I'm gonna just drive back on Monday instead of all Sunday night like the last 2 Regionals. Extra day off work, but when driving alone, it would be easier than driving through the night.

Www.peacemakernational.com. They have several deals with local hotels. There a good choices within about fifteen minutes of the range. PNTC is a great facility and perfect for hosting a regional match. Sucks they had to move it but looks like 3GN did the best job they could with the cards they were dealt.

Can anyone advise on Maryland gun laws? Baltimore is about 2 hours away from the range and airfare seems reasonable from my region, but I'd rather not get arrested if I violate MD laws I'm not aware of.

Neither Maryland or Virginia honor my CCW, but WV does. I have to drive through a small portion of each state in order to get to the new range location, so I will be checking some gun law websites about rules dealing with transport in my vehicle.

Hotel cancelled for the last location.....looking at new hotel in new location now. Now working on getting someone to carpool with somewhere between KC and STL!

See everyone there.

Can anyone advise on Maryland gun laws? Baltimore is about 2 hours away from the range and airfare seems reasonable from my region, but I'd rather not get arrested if I violate MD laws I'm not aware of.

To clarify, I'm referring to flying into Baltimore with my 3 gun gear, not carry laws. Mainly if there are possession restrictions for mags of a certain capacity and/or AR15 restrictions.

Flying would nearly triple my costs at this point. I'm gonna just drive back on Monday instead of all Sunday night like the last 2 Regionals. Extra day off work, but when driving alone, it would be easier than driving through the night.

No car pool? I am heading to this match as well. I will be driving through your city twice.

No car pool? I am heading to this match as well. I will be driving through your city twice.

I'm planning to drive.....up for carpool if you are. I talked to Michael Lindsay a little (he's near Columbia I think), but haven't confirmed if he wants to carpool or not. Hell, we might be able to end up with 3 of us to split gas and drive time if one of us has a big enough vehicle! My little escape is great for gas mileage, but two people is about the max for gear.

To clarify, I'm referring to flying into Baltimore with my 3 gun gear, not carry laws. Mainly if there are possession restrictions for mags of a certain capacity and/or AR15 restrictions.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182661&page=13&hl=%2Bmaryland#entry2235995

post in that thread by cjw concerning maryland. i'm not a lawyer and am a va resident, but no MD restrictions on magazine ownership, just can't buy 20-30 rounders in-state but ok to own/possess in state. pretty sure no issues with a non-resident bringing his rifle into or thru maryland for a match, but a resident cannot otherwise buy/import a banned configuration.

check out washington/reagan (which is in virginia, just don't travel thru dc) as well as dulles which will be the closest airport. also another forum, www.mdshooters.com that discusses this stuff from time to time. it's a shame here in the USA any of us need to worry about this crap.

You should be good to go, only restriction that I can think of off the top of my head concerns traveling with your firearms. You are required to have the ammo seperate from your firearm in a case/container. No restrictions on mags for you, as stated above the only restrictions are for MD residents that can not buy in state.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=182661&page=13&hl=%2Bmaryland#entry2235995

post in that thread by cjw concerning maryland. i'm not a lawyer and am a va resident, but no MD restrictions on magazine ownership, just can't buy 20-30 rounders in-state but ok to own/possess in state. pretty sure no issues with a non-resident bringing his rifle into or thru maryland for a match, but a resident cannot otherwise buy/import a banned configuration.

Thanks for referencing my old post, davsco, but I need to correct your summary with regard to rifles.

The biggest issue is that AR-15 based rifles, other than factory HBAR configurations, are considered BANNED ASSAULT WEAPONS and non-importable under Maryland law as of 1 October, 2013. I am not aware of anybody from out of state being arrested or prosecuted for this as of yet. IANAL, but I do not see any way as the law is currently worded that one could lawfully bring an AR rifle (other than HBAR) into Maryland for any reason. Also, there is no case law to address whether FOPA transport provisions would apply in such a case.

I would strongly recommend against flying into Maryland with a non-HBAR AR-15.

(As a side note, the banned list is very specific in nature, so other 5.56mm rifles like SCARs and some of the AR inspired but not quite compatible rifles, like SIGs, would not be considered as banned automatically; then you'd have to check the "copycat" provisions to see if it counts as banned according to the feature list. Also, if you shoot Heavy, AR-10s are non-banned cash'n'carry “sporting rifles,” so go figure... Oh, but your M1A is a banned assault weapon. It doesn't have to make sense. It's Maryland.)

Again, IANAL, but I work very hard to understand the gun laws here and in any state I am likely to travel to or through, so if I can answer any specific questions, I am happy to do so in thread or PM.

Edited by CJW

• 1 month later...