Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 5" 9mm - slide lock problem

sbaker5

When I shoot my STI 5" 9mm pistol I get slide lock but this happens when there is still one bullet left in the magazine. It also locks after the last round is fired, as it should. It does this with two STI tuned magazines. Again, with both mags the slide locks back when there is one round left in the mag. Any idea why and what I can do to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Who tuned the mags, or is your definition of "tuning" installing grams guts? If its the latter, there should've been instructions with the Grams follower on how to file the follower down to prevent this.

When I shoot my STI 5" 9mm pistol I get slide lock but this happens when there is still one bullet left in the magazine. It also locks after the last round is fired, as it should. It does this with two STI tuned magazines. Again, with both mags the slide locks back when there is one round left in the mag. Any idea why and what I can do to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance.

When I tuned mags, this would make me check two things first:

1) the mag was locking in too high in the frame. Some STI frames carry the mag high and people install different mag releases to lower it a bit.

2) Have the mag feed lips been tweaked open to raise the nose of the round to enhance feeding? If so, the mag follower may be getting high enough to bump the slide stop foot with a round still in the mag.

Guess how I learned that.....

The other thing is make sure you have the correct slide stop for the 9mm caliber.

Edited by bountyhunter

I had a similar problem with mine on my open gun when I got it. I just pulled the slide stop pin and lever out of the gun and observed the mark where the plunger was touching the lever. Then I used a small drill bit to drill a detent in the lever where it touches the plunger and that solved my problem. The slide no longer locks back when the gun is empty which I can live with and it still works manually.

If you dont want to grind on your followers take your slide stop and take the little lip off that catches the mag follower. This deactivates the slide stop so it will not lock back ever.

+1, this is what I do.

Thanks in advance.

For $20, this could be an easy fix. I just installed a Fusion slide stop in my 9mm Trojan. Their slide stops come with a groove machined in the face which catches the tip of the plunger head and make it really hard for the slide stop to engage.

On mine, the stop wasn't engaging AT ALL and I have to grind it off to get it to lock back at all. Might be an easy thing to try.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/parts/frame-parts/slide-stops/slide-stop-9mm-blue

Edited by bountyhunter

Try removing a little from the slide stop on the bottom where the follower hits the slide stop. Had to do this on

one of the pistols I shoot IDPA with. Shooting IPSA only grind from the side so there's no way it can hit the follower.

Mine only took very little metal off using a small flat file. Only drar back is you have to shoot the gun so take a file

tp the range with you.