Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp III Speedloader Holders

Lubecktech

Anyone use Comp III speedloaders for IDPA?

I am looking for a way to carry mine for my L frame.

So far it looks like the pocket of my carry vest.

Will the Safariland CD-2 holder securely carry Comp IIIs??

It is made for Comp IIs but looks like it might work.

Thanks for the input!!

Ready Tacticals look like the way to go but for the moment I have a Safariland 333 coming which I plan to modify. My wife spent about 6 days in ICU last month - even with insurance I have around $6k in medical bills so money is tight for me. This will work for me with club level matches. There is an eBay store called eCopsupply I have been dealing with that has great prices and gets me stuff fast.

The CD 2's should be OK with the Comp III's.

Don't waste your time modding the 333, because you have to cut one of the pouches off and then raise the body to cover the speedloader.

I bought some from Master Tac (https://www.facebook.com/mastertac.holsters) and for $20 they we a good deal.

mtbelt.jpg

I shoot with the owners of Master Tac. They are good people and make a great product. I have a set for my 625.

It's hard to tell from the picture but it doesn't look like you can comply with the rule that says that speed loaders but be within 1" of each other when worn in front of the holster. When they are carried on the opposite side as in the picture they would be fine. Just something to keep in mind if you were to want to use them in front of the holster. The Ready Tactical, Big Creek Kydex or North Mountain products would be a better choice for in front of the holster.

8.6.3.5 Two speed loaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster. The speed loaders/moon clips worn in front of the holster must be within 1” (25.4 mm) of each other, and the speed loader/moon clip nearest the holster must be within 1” of the revolver pouch of the holster.

I bought some from Master Tac (https://www.facebook.com/mastertac.holsters) and for $20 they we a good deal.

mtbelt.jpg

I shoot with the owners of Master Tac. They are good people and make a great product. I have a set for my 625.

I might get to meet you guys then, if I ever get my shooting gear unpacked. I have just moved into the Huntsville AL area where I believe Master Tac is located. Can you suggest some clubs that host IDPA or USPSA matches?

It's hard to tell from the picture but it doesn't look like you can comply with the rule that says that speed loaders but be within 1" of each other when worn in front of the holster. When they are carried on the opposite side as in the picture they would be fine. Just something to keep in mind if you were to want to use them in front of the holster. The Ready Tactical, Big Creek Kydex or North Mountain products would be a better choice for in front of the holster.

8.6.3.5 Two speed loaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster. The speed loaders/moon clips worn in front of the holster must be within 1 (25.4 mm) of each other, and the speed loader/moon clip nearest the holster must be within 1 of the revolver pouch of the holster.

Master Tac will make them with the tension fastener on either side if you request so you can have one made so that the tension fastener will be where you need it to get close to your holster. I am pretty sure the tension fastener is less than an inch wide so you will likely be OK either way.

I am a weak hand re-loader leaving my strong hand on the grip when I reload so I wear all three of them on my weak side for now. I might move one to the strong side but never more than that. With what I have now the first speed loader could be right against my holster.

The one inch measurement is between the loaders and not the holders so that's why I thought that it may be close. It's funny that IDPA specifies that you can't have those adjustment knobs on "Magazine carriers". I guess they didn't think anyone was using them for speed loaders so for now they are good with the knob until they figure out that they forgot about the speed loaders.

The one inch measurement is between the loaders and not the holders so that's why I thought that it may be close. It's funny that IDPA specifies that you can't have those adjustment knobs on "Magazine carriers". I guess they didn't think anyone was using them for speed loaders so for now they are good with the knob until they figure out that they forgot about the speed loaders.

I think it would be close but legal with that in front of the holster. I will try to find them this weekend and measure them while wearing.

The tension fastener is not a knob, what you see in that picture is simply a cosmetic cover that snaps over a special washer with a screw through it. I believe that Master Tac tension method would be legal on a magazine pouch.

8.6.2.6 Magazine carriers with screws or knobs that extend past the outer face of the carrier are allowed if the adjustment screw(s) require a tool to change tension, the screws protrude less than 0.125” (3.2 mm) from the outer face of the magazine carrier, and they meet all other magazine carrier requirements. Additionally, all tension screws anywhere on a magazine carrier must require a tool for tension adjustment.

Why does it require a tool?

I don't know why they worry about it since it's an automatic PE if one of your ammunition carriers falls out so if you run them too loose you get a PE. Seems like that would be enough.

Master Tac will make them with the tension fastener on either side if you request so you can have one made so that the tension fastener will be where you need it to get close to your holster. I am pretty sure the tension fastener is less than an inch wide so you will likely be OK either way.

I am a weak hand re-loader leaving my strong hand on the grip when I reload so I wear all three of them on my weak side for now. I might move one to the strong side but never more than that. With what I have now the first speed loader could be right against my holster.

I also do a support hand reload. I found it faster to put my first two speedloader holders in front of my strong side holster. My third holder goes on my weak side.

One of the things that I like about the Ready Tactical holders is that they take up very little room on the belt. So you can position them where you want them.

• 2 months later...

I use and recommend Ready Tactical. I got ours from Chris Patty.

http://cpwsa.com/products/ready-tactical-s-w-speedloader-pouch-and-moonclip-holder

That's what I use for REV division. I initially used Blade-Tech, but I absolutely hated them. The Ready Tactical pouches are much better (and cheaper).

Can't agree more on the Blade-Tech pouches. Good holsters, bad revo pouches.

Edited by Tarkeg

So far it looks like the pocket of my carry vest.

No, that is way, way too slow. Get some Ready Tactical speedloader holders from cpwsa.

For a beginner...get a hoodie that zips and put the speedloaders in that big pocket right by your firing hand. It works plenty well with comp threes. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ALL THE GEAR AT ONCE. I have beaten enough people at an idpa match pulling from the pocket not to have to change things up with speedloader holders. When you get better at it down the road consider changing things around. Focus on draw and presentations and smooth trigger pull for now.