Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running out of powder

jerryz

When I scored 8# of WIN 231 last summer I figured I was set for life. Well, my life seems to be going by a little faster than I expected. I'm down to my last pound, and, that won't make 6 weeks.

I've tried to find HP38 (which looks to be the same in the load manuals as Win231), WST and WSF (which I've never used but someone said they liked it). I've checked Powder valley, Gunbot.net, and of course Midway and Brownells, as well as all the local Scheels, Gander Mountain (which never has anything even back in the good 'ol days) and Cabela's. Nothing.

I suppose I could try something totally different, but, I all my recipes and my Dillon are very happy with Win 231 and changing powder means a lot of work.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Anyone hear any rumors of more powder on the way? I'm starting to get nitrocellulose withdrawals.

Gamaliel Shooting Supply also has WSF. It's about $1 more for 8# than recobstar. Gamaliel has free shipping. I've never bought from recobstar, so don't know what they offer in the shipping department. Hazmat is the same it appears.

Gunbot is too slow to update, it can't be trusted. I ordered a case of Federal primers from one joint before Gunbot even had them listed.

HP38 is EXACTLY the same product as 231 according to Chris Hodgdon.

I got bit by unavailable components once. I now stay considerably ahead on my inventory.

I'm still using some WW231 from decades ago :ph34r:

but from reading BE, I'm seeing some brand new

powders that didn't exist when I hunted buffalo on

the prairie - CE or CB something or other -

and some others .... some of

them sound pretty good, and available. :cheers:

I was at the Richmond, VA gun show this weekend and saw more Alliant powder there than I have for the last two years. One dealer I chatted with said it was sporatic but at least he was starting to get some in. Prices are high as you may expect but I saw Bullseye, HP-38, and even Power Pistol on the shelves. I've also seen BE-86 showing up both at gun shows and at local dealers so you may want to consider buying a pound or two of that or another powder until you can snag more HP-38 or W231.

Thanks all.

I'll keep watch on recobstar.com and hold out until critical to make the change to wsf.

I see that Gamaliel has a watch list. I suppose I'm one of a million on it, but, it's still another option. Thanks for the heads up there (I've never heard of them before,)

Thanks for the confirmation that HP38 is the same. It's good to have another brand to watch for, just in case Hodgdon comes back before Winchester.

I hear ya on staying well stocked, but, I thought I was. Funny how the anti's scream over "arsenals" (aka 1000 rounds). If I go below 1000 rounds of any particular caliber I get nervous.

I do have an old jar of Bullseye that I can use in an emergency. I just really don't want to change my loads and change my dillon.

That said, any good recipe for WSF to make major on a 230 FMJ?

Thanks a lot for all the good info!

Local dealer just got a couple bottles of Power Pistol. I have no experience with that. How does that stack up to Win 231? Versitile for 9 & 45? Meter consistency? Thanks

Thanks for the list of dealers. I typically just use midway and brownells, which has worked well in the past. But now, times are different.

I managed to get 4# of N310 out of midsouth. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...