Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy between plated and H-Tek coated lead?

JLeeCZ

I've used both in 147 gr and can't tell a diiference in accuracy. I may just not be that good of a shot. Anyone notice a real difference? I switched from plated to the Hi-Tek supercoat lead last year and have been very happy with them. Been a while since I have shot plated.

In my tests Berry's 124Gr HBRN have been my most accurate bullet in my CZ SP-01 Tactical. I could not get the same same hole accuracy from Blue Bullets or SNS. I received an sample order of black and blue bullets but the alot of the bullets coating had rubbed off in shipping. I didn't even both testing. Nice company good customer service. Seems they have less coating then SNS. Plus I use TG and the coated smoked more than I liked. I could try a different powder like N320 but what I have works and I can get a good price on Berry's.

Edited by brisix

I've shot many thousands of hitek coated (from 4 bullet makers) and thousands of frontier cmj (and some extreme and berrys but mostly frontier).

In both production guns and in a ported and compd open gun.

Accuracy very similar for me. With the right load all shot great. The CMJ are a little bit cleaner in my open gun though.

I'm trying to consolidate down to one bullet. If accuracy is the same, I want a profile that I can shoot in all of my guns without having to go too short with OAL, especially my guns with a shorter chamber like my CZ and Sig 320. I'm out of SNS 147s and about to order a case. The Xtreme profile allowed a longer OAL and is a good bullet but I prefer the SNS which has already showed it's accuracy in my Glock. I didn't experiment with different lengths the last time I had the SNS bullet. Have been lucky to accumulate a good supply of WSF which is suppose to be good for 147s. Last time I loaded tham, all I had was AA7.

You did'nt say what profile you're using so I assume it's a RN 147. If loading short for a particular gun then you could just load them all to that OAL. May not be the most accurate, but would be the easiest. I think you can use one bullet style but one OAL may be a little tough. Load some different ones and make notes. You'll find the right one.

You did'nt say what profile you're using so I assume it's a RN 147. If loading short for a particular gun then you could just load them all to that OAL. May not be the most accurate, but would be the easiest. I think you can use one bullet style but one OAL may be a little tough. Load some different ones and make notes. You'll find the right one.

The SNS is a groovelss flat point/nose.

I've used a lot of Extreme bullets and a lot of Bayou, Black & Blue Bullets Hitech coated. Accuracy wise I see very little difference between the coated and plated. What decides it for me is I use less powder with the coated bullet.

My accuracy preferences fall the following order:

Zero 147 JHP-unicorn status. Hard to find but they shoot great when you have a couple K

Zero 147 FMj-2nd place

PD 147 FP fmj-just a great bullet that works

Bayou 147 FP-Throw in some VVn320, WSF or WST and you win!

Zero .356 125 JHP-4.2 VVn320

Zero 125 .355 JHP and 5.0 grains fo WSF

PD 124 JHP 4.2 VVn320 loaded to 1.100

PD 124 JHP 4.0 grains of WSF to 1.10

The only issue I have when comparing Plated to Coated is the hardness of the lead.

all of the plated bullets I've tested are very soft and will change shape on you a little. Hard cast lead that is coated is much more consistent when manipulated through a press or gun (deformation and setback from my experience)

• 4 months later...