Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to California!

shoot here:

http://www.actionpistol.org/ncpl/

or here:

http://www.actionpistol.org/shasta/default.html

come to Redding and I would be happy to talk about whatever. I grew up on the north coast and live in Redding now. Don't believe all the things you hear about CA, its definitely not what you are used to but you adapt and overcome if you really enjoy shooting.

Thank you for the Invite.

Redding is a little ways down the road from me, but it would be a nice drive in the RV for Monthly Saturday matches.

Hi JigSaw. I live in Eureka. We have two outdoor ranges in the area and a small indoor range in town. Google redwood gun club and old west shootery for starters. You might find some information about competitions. I'm new to the hobby, so can't tell you much more. Welcome to the Northern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

Nice to hear from a local.

When I get to town and I'm setup and ready to shoot I'll send you a message on here or something.

I'll be in the Mckinleyville / Eureka area. We live in an RV so I'm not sure exactly where we'll be staying until we get there and check the area out.

I have two complete setups to shoot competition so you can borrow one since you are just getting started. I've been shooting since 2010 and while I was becoming o.k. with not shooting anymore, I really don't want to stop.

See you soon

Like Chuck said above.. right now (before the move) an excellent time to get any frames or guns you want.

You can bring in STI frames for personal use (my words - not sure what the law says exactly - you might look into it).. but you won't be able to buy them easily once you're there

Get 2 or 4.. if after a while you decide you don't need them.. easy to sell

Or if there's any other guns you might want in the foreseeable future that aren't on the approved list.. buy them now..between the classes you have to take and certificates, ffl fees, sales tax and wait times.. you'll be glad you did

Edited by D.Hayden

Like Chuck said above.. right now (before the move) an excellent time to get any frames or guns you want.

You can bring in STI frames for personal use (my words - not sure what the law says exactly - you might look into it).. but you won't be able to buy them easily once you're there

Get 2 or 4.. if after a while you decide you don't need them.. easy to sell

Or if there's any other guns you might want in the foreseeable future that aren't on the approved list.. buy them now..between the classes you have to take and certificates, ffl fees, sales tax and wait times.. you'll be glad you did

I see a Tanfo Limited in my near future :devil:

Sure hope the jobs worth it... It's going to cost you at minimum $20k extra each year just to live in california when compared to a midwest state and even more if you drive a lot or shoot a lot or do a lot of anything. I moved to the Sacramento area from Indiana for a decent salary increase a few years ago and by the time we were all moved in you just don't realize how much more everything costs. Trash, water, electricity, gas, groceries, taxes, housing, etc.

My advice to you is to buy all the guns you think you might want before you move so you don't have to pay the extra costs. Buy a home with solar. PM me with any questions, I can get you hooked up with some good guys in the Redding area to get you out shooting.

Bring everything with you. Register your hand guns within 60 days. Get to your nearest match and gip it and rip it. Arcata is almost to the USPSA headquarters in Washington.... Rains alot up there too.

Edited by 9x45

Sure hope the jobs worth it... It's going to cost you at minimum $20k extra each year just to live in california when compared to a midwest state and even more if you drive a lot or shoot a lot or do a lot of anything. I moved to the Sacramento area from Indiana for a decent salary increase a few years ago and by the time we were all moved in you just don't realize how much more everything costs. Trash, water, electricity, gas, groceries, taxes, housing, etc.

My advice to you is to buy all the guns you think you might want before you move so you don't have to pay the extra costs. Buy a home with solar. PM me with any questions, I can get you hooked up with some good guys in the Redding area to get you out shooting.

i don't have to worry to the normal extent about the housing cost. My wife and I live in an RV which keeps all the Trash, Water, Taxes, Housing stuff out of the equation.

Even more interesting is that RV park rates across the country don't vary much at all.

I'm taking a job managing a Chevrolet dealership, BUT if the cost is truly too high the house has wheels and I'm a master GM technician. There is a yearly deficit of approximately 2500 qualified techs per year.

Job security and a house on wheels really makes life fun!

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll get with you when I starting hunting out shooting spots

If you are moving to California, BUY all the off roster pistols you ever wanted now. If you decide you don't want them later on you will not lose your money and turn a profit selling for the models in demand. Once in CA, your selection is quite limited

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov

As mentioned just can't bring in mags or parts greater than 10 rounds unless you possessed them within California prior to 2000 for the mags.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Moving_to_California_with_firearms

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Large-capacity_magazine_restrictions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Doug*