Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to California!

Hello all,

I'm moving from Central Texas to California in the next month for a job. I have been doing tons of reading through their laws (good lord are there a ton) and wanted some feedback from an actual resident / shooter if I could get some.

Do I need to Sell my Edge and mags before I go?

Is a USPSA match just a bunch of guys shooting SS and Production?

Is it common to see the big tricked out guns brought in from out of state and used, and if so How is a resident supposed to compete given the local laws.

I'm sure I have a lot to learn.

One thing I thought was strange = The mags are not illegal to have as long as they were there before 1999 i believe. Yet they don't have serial numbers and no one can prove when they got there.

What is one to do?????

I'll be a few hours from the Oregon boarder.... Are there a lot of guys that just store things our of state and travel their for matches?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I really don't know what to say other than sorry. Hope you get out of their quick.

The Job Op can't be passed up. It was a hard one to make given my nice weapons would likely have to stay in TX

Thanks for the support. Illinois is pretty bad as well right?

No where near as bad as California. Unless you live in Cook county. The only things we can't have here are suppressors and machine guns. No mag limits or restrictions on handguns.

I lived in Cali for a college summer back in 96'. Wasn't into guns like I am now so I really didn't notice.

My Sis lives in Illinois and I had no idea it wasn't restrictive. I recall it being rough when she moved out there (late 90s) because there was no concealed carry and the majority of the people around her over the bridge from St. Louis were anti-gun

I have no need for NFA stuff either........ Maybe I should not talk so much mess about The Peoples Republic of Illinois :devil:

Check out calguns.net for detailed info. Off the top of my head, you can bring your Edge and any other handguns that you own. However, your Normal capacity mags (greater than 10) will need to stay disassembled while in Kali.

Depending on make/model of your semi-auto rifles, you could neuter them (bullet button, grip wrap etc) and then bring to Kali. Some semi-auto rifles on the original ban list can't be brought in legally no matter what you do.

Lot of shooters in Kali have grandfathered equipment to shoot open/limited.

Here in Cali we shoot all the same equipment the rest of country shoots, getting equip is the tricky part, but that's not your question, you legally own your gear now you can own it here, your mags you have owned them since 1999 and that's your story and stick to your story, nobody will hassle you about equipment. Don't know what part of the State your moving to but in Central Cal, are club Is Central Cal Pistol League, or CCPL, we host two Five stages matches a month, and one Steel Challange a month, we average about 65 to 70 shooters a match all scoring is on Mini Pads we have are own network load the results on your phone before ya leave, or when ever. Good luck with the new job and move, hope to see ya at a match.

Steve

Check out calguns.net for detailed info. Off the top of my head, you can bring your Edge and any other handguns that you own. However, your Normal capacity mags (greater than 10) will need to stay disassembled while in Kali.

Depending on make/model of your semi-auto rifles, you could neuter them (bullet button, grip wrap etc) and then bring to Kali. Some semi-auto rifles on the original ban list can't be brought in legally no matter what you do.

Lot of shooters in Kali have grandfathered equipment to shoot open/limited.

Thanks for the website reference.

The way I read it, even having empty mag tubes and scattered other parts would be a problem (illegal)

I don't have any rifles so it won't be an issue. I shoot pistols because I can't see past the end of my hand very well :roflol:

Here in Cali we shoot all the same equipment the rest of country shoots, getting equip is the tricky part, but that's not your question, you legally own your gear now you can own it here, your mags you have owned them since 1999 and that's your story and stick to your story, nobody will hassle you about equipment. Don't know what part of the State your moving to but in Central Cal, are club Is Central Cal Pistol League, or CCPL, we host two Five stages matches a month, and one Steel Challange a month, we average about 65 to 70 shooters a match all scoring is on Mini Pads we have are own network load the results on your phone before ya leave, or when ever. Good luck with the new job and move, hope to see ya at a match.

Steve

This is what I was looking for, Thanks!

It's nice to hear there won't be any major issues at the range. Worried that a local LEO may give me shit when I show up.

I am moving up to the Arcata / Eureka area. Looks like the nearest matches are in Redding or the southern portion of Oregon.

If someone from out of state comes in to shoot, their mags are not granfathered in right? It is my understanding that I can cross the boarder with the gun, but NOT the mags.

If I live their long enough and have to become a citizen I will have to register my Edge as well, Correct?

Does the gun being on the DOJ list for sales have anything to do with its legality being registered?

Sorry for all the quiestions. I feel like I've read through so much law that i'm baffeled that anyone even tries to own a gun in Cali.

I'm on the fence about selling both of my competition guns right now........... Not sure which way i'm leaning yet.

If there is no shooting within a few hour drive it will be a much easier choice.

Bring you gear, go to matchs and have fun, once your hear you won't be able to buy the gear you have mentioned like you used to buying it, but you'll learn how we deal with it.

Steve

Hi Matt,

Any handgun you bring in will have to be registered within 60 days. http://www.ossh.com/firearms/caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm.

You can, however, bring in anything that is not considered an assault weapon. Bring in your handguns. They do not have to be on the roster! When you become a resident, you can actually sell via a private party transfer (commonly called PPT). In fact, you may consider making an investment in non-roster firearms or other mostly ungettable things like STI frames. If you decide to sell your competition guns, odds are they are worth more in CA than TX.

It sort of sounds like you will be in a non-urban area. You will find the attitudes different in rural counties. In fact, it is likely you could get a CCW if you are away from SF or LA. You can read all about that on Cal Guns.

Welcome to CA,

Chuck

Bring you gear, go to matchs and have fun, once your hear you won't be able to buy the gear you have mentioned like you used to buying it, but you'll learn how we deal with it.

Steve

Thanks for the input. Nice to see there is a shooting community out there despite the screwy laws

Hi Matt,

Any handgun you bring in will have to be registered within 60 days. http://www.ossh.com/firearms/caag.state.ca.us/firearms/ab991.htm.

You can, however, bring in anything that is not considered an assault weapon. Bring in your handguns. They do not have to be on the roster! When you become a resident, you can actually sell via a private party transfer (commonly called PPT). In fact, you may consider making an investment in non-roster firearms or other mostly ungettable things like STI frames. If you decide to sell your competition guns, odds are they are worth more in CA than TX.

It sort of sounds like you will be in a non-urban area. You will find the attitudes different in rural counties. In fact, it is likely you could get a CCW if you are away from SF or LA. You can read all about that on Cal Guns.

Welcome to CA,

Chuck

Thanks for the link :cheers:

I think i'll just use option #3

"Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department."

That way no one gets hurt :devil:

Thanks also for the investment plans. I believe I will go down the road and get a ton of off roster bits to bring with me.

I owe you a beer. If you're in the Arcata / Eureka Area any time after June 15th, PM me for said refreshment

Steve

Thanks for the input. Nice to see there is a shooting community out there despite the screwy laws

I haven't seen the totals lately, but CA used to have the greatest number of active USPSA members.

Jigsaw if your going to sell your gear, bring it to Cali, regerster it with Cal DOJ which is no problem, and all buy all of it, and all regerster all of it with DOJ, there you just learned one way we get gear here in Cali 100% on the up and up with DOJ.

Jigsaw.

Depending where you are in CA. and assuming you are USPSA shooter..

Want to shoot EVERY Weekend? We got it covered..

Here's what we have in So. Cal

www.jvdynamics.com

www.lineadefuego.info

www.prg-ipsc.com

http://www.gopherflats.net/gopher_files/swpl.htm

www.discoverpracticalshooting.wordpress.com

Nor Cal.

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/

At least these are the ones I go to..

Chuck S. has good advice there..

Believe it or not , alot of shooters here are LTD, Open shooters. All the divisions are covered here.. look at the results www.uspsa2.org

Welcome!

Edited by flack jacket

Yea Jigsaw, your moving to beautiful area, and yes Redding is a great club, they just hosted one of Cali biggest USPSA matchs the Golden Bullet, check out the results on Practi score, and you see the number of guns per division, about the same ratio as any match in the country.

Steve

Oh what flack jacket said, I can shoot a USPSA match every weekend and only once drive over a 100 miles, and that range is on Pacific Ocean nice way to spend a weekend, it's not all bad here.

Good Luck

Steve

shoot here:

http://www.actionpistol.org/ncpl/

or here:

http://www.actionpistol.org/shasta/default.html

come to Redding and I would be happy to talk about whatever. I grew up on the north coast and live in Redding now. Don't believe all the things you hear about CA, its definitely not what you are used to but you adapt and overcome if you really enjoy shooting.

Hi JigSaw. I live in Eureka. We have two outdoor ranges in the area and a small indoor range in town. Google redwood gun club and old west shootery for starters. You might find some information about competitions. I'm new to the hobby, so can't tell you much more. Welcome to the Northern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk