Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA or Production?

twister

I just bought a Glock 35, and would like to compete in both Idpa, and Uspsa production. Are there any changes that can be made in one group and not the other? I've changed recoil spring and sights and planned on shooting it like this. Would it be legal in both categories? Thanks for your help, Dave.

Just curious why you want to shoot .40 cal in SSP or production? Are you going to be loading to minor PF? If so I guess it makes sense.

Yup. For SSP and Production I would go with 9mm. The extra recoil from .40 isn't going to help you.

It's not just the extra recoil. Sure, you can download .40 to be almost as soft as 9mm, but you're still paying more for bullets and brass.

Not enough to warrant a new gun. You'd have to shoot about 35k rounds to break even if he already owns a G35.

To the OP: Shoot what you have, in both games. You'll have fun, that's what's important at first.

I sometimes still shoot my G35 in IDPA and Prod. 40 at minor power factor is pretty dang soft and a lot softer recoil than 9mm at the sam PF. As for paying more for bullets and brass it's still cheaper than buying 40 minor ammo.

I appreciate all the help. The reason I'd be shooting a 35 instead of a 34, I just like shooting it more. I have a 34, and after shooting both, the 35 is the one I picked. I want to know if you would set the gun up differently for either production or IDPA? Ive never shot either, so I don't want to do something illegal in either. Thanks again for your help, Dave.

Other than the equipment rules (mag pouches, belts etc) there are two major differences . In Production you can go with a tungsten guide rod. In IDPA for SSP, tungsten guide rods are prohibited( Stainless steel ones are OK for SSP). In IDPA a replacement magazine base pad can't be more than 1oz heavier than stock. USPSA doesn't explicitly limit the weight of the base pad but the total weight limit of the gun + empty magazine is 2 oz over the production list published weight.

Other than the equipment rules (mag pouches, belts etc) there are two major differences . In Production you can go with a tungsten guide rod. In IDPA for SSP, tungsten guide rods are prohibited( Stainless steel ones are OK for SSP). In IDPA a replacement magazine base pad can't be more than 1oz heavier than stock. USPSA doesn't explicitly limit the weight of the base pad but the total weight limit of the gun + empty magazine is 2 oz over the production list published weight.

I'm curious. Do you have a steel or tungsten guide rod in a Glock? Have you noticed any reduction in recoil or muzzle rise?

I'm curious. Do you have a steel or tungsten guide rod in a Glock? Have you noticed any reduction in recoil or muzzle rise?

Near as I can tell, it's like arguing about GI vs. FLGR on 1911s. Some folks swear up and down there is a difference and the gun feels like it tracks smoother, others say "I just put $50 in my gun for what?". I couldn't tell the difference, or if the difference was there it was not enough for me to be able to exploit it. It's my personal theory they're trying to sell those predominantly to the guy who has memorized all the words to the Cory & Erika youtube vids and talks about being able to rack their slides off their belts or grip their gun even if their hands are covered in blood.

Steel guide rod in my G34. I like it. Also, in IDPA you can paint a refernce mark in the magwell to help you "See" where you'd like your reload to go. You can not do this in USPSA.

To keep it simplest between the two I would:

Use the CR Speed EDC belt.

Use a belt holster like the ones from Bladetech or Comptac or any other kydex place you like.

Run the type of pouch, single ones, that will work for IDPA. Two for that game and 5 for USPSA.

(the above let you keep positions between things virtually as close as they can be sport to sport with the least amount of $)

Stock mags but with vickers or 10-8 or any other non capacity increasing base pad.

Steel guide rod with spring you like for your ammo.

Sights you like.

home made or kit grip tape.

Pierce grip plug.

extra power trigger spring

"-" connnector or other aftermarket one.

25cent polish job.

The end.

OP, if you have never shot IDPA nor USPSA, then most of that stuff doesn't really matter. There is alot more going on in the games than just the gun. Personally, change the sights to Dawson/Heine/TTI, put in a 3.5lb connector, get a Wilderness belt, Blade Tech holster, Blade Tech single mag pouches and then take shooting lessons from a IDPA Master or USPSA Grand Master.

...then take shooting lessons from a IDPA Master or USPSA Grand Master.

Big difference between those.

Having a high rank doesn't make you a good instructor nor does being an instructor mean you're a good shooter.

Edited by racknrider

It's not just the extra recoil. Sure, you can download .40 to be almost as soft as 9mm, but you're still paying more for bullets and brass.

brass is free. bullets cost may be 2 cents/round more, and imho, 40 minor feels noticeably softer than 9 minor at the same pf. If the gun you have is a 40, might as well shoot that while you learn the sport and decide where you want to go with it.

I don't know that I'd do *anything* to the gun (except maybe sights) until you've shot a couple matches and got your feet wet and seen what other people are doing and maybe fondled someone else's guns.