Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Trumpet

Which one piece rings/mount for 5.56 AR?

Now that I have my scope on the way (Bushy Tac Elite 3-12) I need a mount. Now, I really don't have a need for QD (although if a QD mount is the best deal in terms of rigidity, etc then so be it). I don't want to spend a ton (so NF/Spuhr/Bobro are out), but I want something good. On the higher end, I'm was looking at JP and ADM. On the lower end of the price spectrum, I was looking at the Leupold Mk2 IMS, Aero precision (looks awfully thin though), Warne RAMP, and Burris PEPR.

Are there any advantages to the JP/ADM over the "lower end" ones? I also want to make sure whichever I end up with, doesn't mar the scope, etc.

Recommendations?

Thanks

I would not get QD unless you absolutely felt like you had to have it. I would get a badger one piece. Badger make good rings. They run about $200. They are not hard to remove and put back on, but you will need a 1/2" wrench and preferably a torque wrench to put them back on.

I really like the WARNE mounts. They come with steel inserts that the screws go into so they won't strip out like a lot of the other mounts that just tap the aluminum(JP, Votrex, Burris). If the WARNE SKEL will get you far enough forward, that is what I would recommend.

I use the Aero Precision, very light and very sturdy.

I wouldn't discount Bobro or Larue. Both are excellent and worth the money. I just mounted a vortex razor in a bobro and have been very impressed with it.

+1 on the torque wrench. Scope rings and mounts should always be installed with proper torque settings.

Warne XSKEL is what I would recommend. Strong, great RTZ, huge supporters of the shooting sports.

Warne, Aero or Leupold MK2 are all solid mounts for the money.

I have had no issues with my Warne and Aero, I haven't tried the Leupold. I had the Burris Pepr and I only use the other two now.