Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Man Hours

Donho

That is a very good question.... :huh: I don't have a clue as to acuall hours but I do know that anytime I want to build something it usually goes in stages ie..The receiver then the trigger then the slide to the receiver etc...Most of the time it is due to waiting for parts.......When you get it together in the white it is just plating that takes some time after that....I think you are asking a question that really has no real answer....Its like Davinchi how long will it take to paint a masterpeice?

Just my 2cents!!! <_<

Aikidale, I remember that as well since it was in a post here on be.com; thought one of them might have been Dave Dawson. I believe it since, in my experience with STI parts, they often come from the factory quite close to correct final dims for all-STI parts and I know that Dave had/has access to the jigs that speed up assembly to the point that 45 min (w/ 2 smiths on the job) is possible. Gun would be either in the white or stainless and certainly be a "no-frills/get the job-done" shooter.

Right, but puilding a race pistol isn't like inletting the sidelocks of an H&H double rifle where you work 8 hours and only have a tiny amount of walnut shavings to show for your work...no reason building one has to take more than a month or so...if they have all the parts... ;)

I'm not a big name gunsmith but, I have built several pistols for myself from scratch using Caspian frames & slide with all the goodies one would expect. I'd put my longslide 38 super up against anyones. Time varies from around 40 to 45 hours for myself. I have equipment at my disposal that many gunsmiths don't have. However, they make jigs to compensate for it. I did quite a bit cnc milling for the aristocrat 3 position sight. Other than that all manual milling for the AET ramped barrel. Hope this helps.

Paul

Carlos, it was dave & myself that built his limited gun in 45 min. while at sti. we did start with a slide to frame fit but other wise did it all. I did the top end & dave the bottom. It was not a thing of beauty but ran great. He shot it that weekend & dressed it up on mon.

Thanks for the confirmation Benny! Still quite an accomplishment I think. There are probably few smiths in the US with enough talent to pull off such a feat in 45 minutes. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

I have no doubt 2 people could build a gun in 45 minutes but, it would not be the type of gun a customer would pay thousands for. Most of the machining must have already been done such as for sights and ramp cut if used. It is still amazing.

Paul

Wow! That is a tremendous feat. Did you have cnc equipment already set up for sight cuts? Just wondering. I know it took me quite a while to set up the tooling, vise, find center of part, and program. Regular Bomars are not too tedious. I had heard once that STI had jigs and machines set up for each step of fitting. Is this true? I really enjoy seeing your work displayed on these forums. Take care,

Paul

Maybe there should be a side match at nationals for the gunsmiths in our sports....a table with a pile of parts and tools. The RO asks each builder how long to build....Benny says I can build that gun in 148 mins....Dawson says I can build that gun in 135 mins....etc......Once the bidding has stopped.....the low bidder, builds that gun!

:lol::D:rolleyes:

Then it could be auctioned for the USPSA Junior Program.