Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's and Glock

mounceb

Anyone else have issues with Berry's plated bullets in their Glocks.I shot a match today with Berrys 124 gr HP and they were keyholing out of a new 19. This was at 7-10 yards. Velocity about 1100 fps. No obvious signs of plating stripping.

I'd suggest pulling a few bullets to make sure they aren't being over crimped.

1100 fps out of a G19 is pretty snappy. Most folks here would be ~1050 fps for 124s to make minor.

I've shot plenty of Berry's 124s, but out of a CZ, and didn't have any trouble. Based on the threads here, this can be a problem that is often traced to over crimping.

Back off on the crimp so that it just straightens the bell of the case and does not leave a mark on the bullet. If you pull a bullet with a ring on it that can be seen, any mark at all, you are over crimping and this is the number one cause of tumbling bullets and especially on plated bullets. You just want the bell taken out and that is all. Measure a pulled bullet as was advised above and I bet you will find that they are well under the .356 they start at.

I have had similar problems with any plated bullet in a Glock 9mm and 10mm pistol when the MV gets up to the 1100-1125 FPS range, but typically the keyholing isn't evident until the range is extended out to 15+ yards.

The exact same load with a jacketed bullet has made the problem go away in every Glock pistol I have tested.

Plated bullets at lower MV of around 775-825 FPS in a Glock .45 ACP does not exhibit the same problem, so I personally think the issue is driven by a combination of the OEM Glock barrel rifling and higher velocity. .

YMMV.

There would be plenty of evidence either way. If the bullets are over the threshold of velocity they would leave copper and lead in and around the barrel as the rifling pealed them apart going down the barrel. Either way it should not take much of an investigation to figure out why this is happening.

I've had an issue with 180 gr Berry's keyholing and being very inaccurate from my G35 lately, too. I believe I over crimped them, and I think I have about 400 rounds left. Should I just shoot them up in close-range practice where the accuracy and keyholing doesn't make a big difference? I've since switched to 200 gr Blue Bullets (which shoot fine).

Anyone else have issues with Berry's plated bullets in their Glocks.I shot a match today with Berrys 124 gr HP and they were keyholing out of a new 19. This was at 7-10 yards. Velocity about 1100 fps. No obvious signs of plating stripping.

I've shot the 124g berry's in multiple flavors out of a 34 and a 26, never had any keyholing issues from up close and out to 25 yards. As others have said watch the crimp, as in don't. Pull a few bullets, if you see any evidence that there even was a crimp, it's crimped too much.

You guys are correct. The portion of the bullet in the case mics .348 and the rest measures .355. Been using Lee FCD. Maybe it is over sizing as it passes through die. Going to try them in my Berreta to see if it will shoot the couple of thousand I already have loaded. Thanks for the input.

I've run 1,000's of Berry's through my Glocks. As with any plated bullet...CHECK YOUR CRIMP. If the crimp is too much it will make an indentation around the circumference of the bullet and this will cause the plating to strip off and the rounds will keyhole.

Pull a couple of heads and look where the case mouth is on the bullet. If you see a small groove/scribe mark around the bullet, you have too much crimp. Back off until you remove don't see that groove...or at least it's VERY VERY faint....