Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building from a STI Frame/Slide....recommendations for parts appreciat

wanttolearn

Hi, I'm going to be building a STI Frame/Slide kit shortly, 5 inch. Just a standard 9mm type build for the range and some local limited type competitions. I understand that everyone has personal preferences but....

I would really appreciate any recommendations you might have......any preferred parts for the build...or even perhaps parts that you would recommend i stay away from or that are too difficult to fit.

also, the frame does not have a ramp cut...does that mean i can use a non ramped 9mm barrel or must i have it milled?

thank you

Edited by wanttolearn

Would strongly recommend milling the frame for a ramped barrel. Either W/N or Clarke/Para cut is fine. Most quality barrel makers make both types. Many types of thumb safeties but Ed Brown still makes great ones including their new version that is awesome! Either Extreme Engineering or EGW fire control parts, your choice. Grip safeties boils down to Ed Brown, EGW, STI, etc. but there's a ton of nice ones now. Personal preference. Rear Bomar-Style sights should be Wilson, SV, or Champion. There's other options but these are all top shelf quality. Front sights....so many choices. EGW ejector or Brazos. Most folks say AFTEC extractor but Ed Brown, STI, or Wilson are all fine if fit and tuned correctly.

That should be a good start. Hope it helps...oh...and go ahead and join the "Edge" shipping club at Brownells....

Cheers623

DVC

I have really considered doing the same. I was going to get a Trojan in 40 to shoot SS. Much of the fun I have had with shooting is doing things to the firearms and learning it. I looked a bit and I am pretty confident I can build one. I don't have all the tools, so will probably settle on some semi drop in things, especially fire control. I will be following and likely start my own post at some time.

I would use all billet parts, from any manufacturer you feel comfortable with. You cannot go wrong with EGW parts. Their Ambi thumb safety is a wonder. Fire control parts are superb. If you want to minimize the amount of fitting you have to do, use the EGW grip safety and mainspring housing they make for JEM. It is almost a perfect fit for and STI receiver. You still have to blend, but you are not removing anywhere near the amount of material as you would with their standard parts. I am also a fan of Ed Brown's billet parts. However, you should be careful about mixing and matching. If you go EGW JEM for the GS, buy the same for the MSH.