Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tight Case Gauges

ES13Raven

Thought I would share this.

I have been chamber checking with an EGW 7-hole case gauge for a while now, and built up about 70 rounds that didn't pass. I threw these into a "practice" bin.

I just got a Hundo / Shockbottle case gauge - which will be a lot faster. I thought I would try putting the rounds that didn't pass the EGW into the Hundo to see how many would pass.

Out of the 70 rounds, about 10 would not pass the standard Hundo. Shockbottle also makes a "match" version, which is tighter like the EGW:

ZBeowcql.png

hkHercgl.png

I have the shockbottle in 40 and Im getting it for 9 now , and also another for supercomp/tj, trying to find one in black, doesnt seem like brian enos sell them in black?

awsome gauges no doubt,

so to shockbottle guys, thank you for 12000rounds and 0 racking the slide on my ipsc standard gun in .40! :)

it also tends to detect even slight cracks in brass etc...

Edited by ano

I have the 9mm Match version of the Hundo. I really like it. I know that it's tighter than my barrels, mugh tighter. Most of my failures are from the varying sizes of 9mm rims, or burrs on the rim.

I did the same thing with my Dillon case checker. The rounds that failed always went to practice and don't really remember having much problems with them unless they were really way out of spec. When I got the new Shockbottle case gauge in standard size I noticed a lot of my 9Major rounds would gauge just fine in it. So that tells me the Dillon gauge is a little tighter. So far I haven't had any issues with rounds that pass the Shockbottle but then again I don't remember too many of my rounds that failed the Dillon giving me much problem either.

I sure like the ease of doing 100 at a time and flipping them into an MTM case!

Take one of the rounds that doesn't pass, drop it into your barrel. If it passes the plunk test then you know that if you get a round that's sits a little high on your gauge it's fine for your barrel. I know that I can get away with a rim thickness high and that will run in my glock. Anything higher than that gets pulled. I use the shokbottle for a gauge. Most of the time if it makes all the way to the rim it's just a burr, or a slightly out of round rim. If it hangs up on the case base you have case bulge and that needs to be pulled and tossed or roll sized. When I reload if I feel a lot of resistance on the press arm I'll take that resized case and inspect it, if there is a bulge and ashinny spot all around the base it gets tossed. That usually is a case that won't gauge and that saves me from pulling the pulling the round.

Dillon case gages are cut to minimum chamber dimensions. Most production firearm chambers are .001-.0015" larger in diameter, but many match chambers are on the minimum side.

• 2 weeks later...

Dillon case gages are cut to minimum chamber dimensions. Most production firearm chambers are .001-.0015" larger in diameter, but many match chambers are on the minimum side.

I have found just the opposite........some of the rounds that have passed my Dillon gauge, will not pass the Shockbottle gauge.

G

I just got one of the 7 hole EGW's for 40. It will not let the 180 gr. Bayou's through. It will let rounds loaded with Xtreme plated bullets through. I assume that the Bayous are sized at little bigger. They chamber and shoot just fine but it kind of defeats the purpose of the gauge.