Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL 650, primer indexing issue

Hey guys,

do have my 650 for quite a while now, have loaded roundabout 6k rounds with it.

Today I had primer indexing problems for the first time.

The primer indexing arm didn´t take the disc properly.

It seemed to me, that the primer disc pin was loose somehow, but I couldn´t find a screw or something to fix it.

Can someone help me out, please?

Best regards,

Jay

Nope, spring is just fine.

It looks like as the pin, which holds and presses the arm down, is not tight enough, so that the arm comes up a bit and has not enough tension to the holes in the disk.

(Kreutz or Kreuz stands for Cross in German, pretty sure, that there were some German forefathers.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreutz )

Nope, spring is just fine.

It looks like as the pin, which holds and presses the arm down, is not tight enough, so that the arm comes up a bit and has not enough tension to the holes in the disk.

(Kreutz or Kreuz stands for Cross in German, pretty sure, that there were some German forefathers.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreutz )

Kreutz is archaic German for shoulder, kreuz is cross (or intersection) in modern German. My full last name is Breitkreutz (or Bkreutz for short) which translates into broad shoulders. I'm first generation American, my family emigrated in 1936 when my dad was 13. (today's trivia :surprise: )

Konigsburg (or Kaliningrad as it's presently known). I've worked at a few different places in Germany while I was in the Army (Bad Tolz, Augsburg). When I got back my Dad thought my German was horrible, he said I sounded like a farmer. :roflol:

Remove the two screws and remove the entire primer assembly. Next remove the primer disc and clean everything, re-grease (see your manual) and start loading again. (Don't lose the spring and ball when removing the primer disc... again, refer to your manual). Repeat this process every 3 to 5 thousand rounds or whenever necessary. This maintenance is absolutely necessary on a 650 if you're not swapping from small to large primers on a regular basis. After about 15 thousand rounds, clean the primer tube like you're cleaning a gun barrel (the primer push rod will serve as your cleaning rod).

A clean primer assembly on a 650 is a happy primer assembly. The tension is provided by the "wavy" washer but it's unlikely it's lost it's effectiveness. It's probably just time for a thorough cleaning.

While at it, examine the bottom of the disc for scratch. The primer plunger can get dirty with time, and will not retract all the way down, it will grind the disc and prevent it from rotating freely.

I just replaced these parts - courtesy of Dillon. There was enough dirt inside the part to prevent it from moving freely - it would still stick out about 1/32".

I only had about 800 rds on my 650 when I started having problems. All parts checked out ok. I pulled off and totally wiped everything off with alcohol and it ran fine after. Apparently there was grit underneath the disc.

What would you think, should I oil those parts after cleaning or might this be a bad idea?

I would avoid oil or anything that may attract dust/grit/powder into the primer holes on the primer disc. Lightly grease the shaft of the primer disc pin where it contacts the primer disc and the platform assembly and it should run fine.

Eventually the Indexing Arm will wear a groove in the primer disc but remember that the primer disc has no up or down side so you can flip it from time to time. Even with this wear, I would anything but lightest dusting of oil or grease on the primer indexing arm. Grit in the holes of the primer disc can ruin a loading session.

Thanks again razorfish,

just did some cleaning work, spended an oil drop to the disc pin and put it all together again.

There was really some grit underneath, which was a mixture of oil and some powder.

I did set up the machine for the 9mm Luger and never changed anything.

Now I understand the function of the primer system and think, the way how the primer indexing arm is installed and works, is a bit on the weak side.

If the arm, the pin washer or anything else bends a bit or get´s loose somehow, it will cause problems.

Me, coming from the 550, hadn´t screwed the shellplate all the way down, so that if I have seated a primer it always was coming up a bit.

Maybe this caused to something unwanted.

Will see at the next loading session, empty everything runs fine now.

If not, I have spare part packs here (including the primer disc indexing arm).

:blush:

Cheers from Germany,

Jay

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

Have a 650 with a few thousand multiple calibers thru it. Now having problems with Large primers for 45ACP mis feeding; sometimes upside down, & sometimes even on edge. Took the primer feed apart, cleaned everything but still erratic feeding. Am losing abt 10% of the primers. Any suggestions. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jayjay,

My oldest son went to College at Freiburg University for one year in 2012, he's a German Major from U of M.

Did you get a chance to try the primer indexing after cleaning?