Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading .40 questions (Acme HiTek bullet)

Meyer23

I'm fairly new to the reloading scene and I'm starting to reload .40. I have everything in order for the rounds (as far as my dies, the numbers are all right), but I'm having a couple concerns/questions regarding these Acme HiTek coated bullets.

I'm at 1.130 OAL and my crimp is right at ,422-.421. First and foremost, when trying to pull the bullet to check the crimp, I can't get it out. The bullet puller does nothing and when I try and use a vice and pliers, I just crush the bullet as seen on the left.

My main question is should I be dialing back the crimp on that to compensate for the bullet? The bullet is measuring at .401-.402.

My other concern is for some reason to me, that bullet looks like it's way to far down in that case causing the crimp to crimp just a hair over the datum line on the bullet kind of securing it in there which makes me think is why I can't get it out. If that was the case, does that really effect anything?

Thanks guys.

post-58593-0-78743600-1431615957_thumb.j

post-58593-0-28600700-1431615966_thumb.j

At 1.130 you are not too short although the minimum should be at least 1.135. These bullets are designed with a minimum ogive so that you don't have to load short to make them work in guns with minimal leads ahead of the chamber but you still have plenty of bearing surface exposed at 1.130. A kinetic bullet puller will get them out if you whack it hard enough. All you want to do is straighten out the flare so a razor blade or straight edge placed next to the case will tell you much more than any measurement you might take to see if you straightened the case or are crimping into the bullet which you don't want to do. Looks like you are close so just check the case and watch for light under the straight edge, it will tell you all you need to know on a straight wall case such as you are working with.

Sorry, they are 180 gr and I'm going to use TItegroup but for now, I'm just running off some dummy rounds.

I'm telling you, if I hit my Lyman bullet puller any harder, it's going to break. I can't even budge that bullet out of the case with vice grips and a vice. I understand crimping is actually just making the case "straight" again and not actually crimping the brass.

When I did all my 9, I used Zero bullets and those came out right with the bullet puller or in the vice.

But that's me fear is that they are crimped to tight or that the bullet is too low causing the case to "close" over the datum bend in the bullet. (If that makes sense)

As is, I've only had 1 of probably 8 that case gauged but a buddy told me that the case gauge is probably not a good idea because of using the coated bullet.

Well, there is one thing for sure, you have plenty of neck tension on your .40's and that is a good thing. Just keep whacking it will come loose. I have pulled plenty of heavily crimped revolver loads with a bullet puller. I don't think set back will be an issue if they are in there that tight so that is a plus. You should have plenty of room in your magazines and chamber lead to load these a little longer so I would at least seat them to the minimum of 1.135 or maybe even 1.40 I can't imagine that you would hit the rifling or be anywhere close at the longer OAL.

Good deal, thank you, Bowen. I have an XDM that should be here this week so I'm going to wait for that and see how they fall in the barrel. From what I've read and been told, I can load them a hair longer with the XDM. I've just never used a coated bullet and I wanted some extra thoughts before I load them up. Maybe I'll make a few more at like 1.135/140 the same crimp and then make a few at the same OAL lessening the crimp and see what happens. Try a few different loads. My concern was something just didn't seem right and I can't help but think it's the hitek bullets.

The more neck tension you have between the case and the bullet the better, you cannot have too much so don't be concerned about that part at all. The XD's tend to be a little short in the chamber lead so this is a good choice for this gun. You are correct in your thinking on the new gun and congrats on the XDM, you should really enjoy that gun. I would much rather have a stubborn bullet in a case than one that pulls very easy, if it pulls easily chances are it will set back fairly easily also. Sounds like you are getting ready for a lot of fun, you can't have too many guns either. :)

Thanks for all your help, B. I can't wait for it to show up. I ordered the 4P+ from Canyon Creek after shooting my buddies and absolutely loved it. For reference, it looks like the MAX OAL is 1.135 so I'll make a few at that length and see what happens. Maybe open up the crimp a hair. I feel better already but as I said, I'm fairly new to this and getting more and more confident as I make more rounds and read more.

post-58593-0-62932000-1431620843_thumb.j

Do a "Plunk" test in your barrel and load them as long as you can and still have the base even with the barrel hood and rotate after the Plunk. Then make sure they work OK in your magazines.

Archived